[ SHOWGSD-L ] Warning re flea & tick collars

  • From: pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 20:40:43 EST

Had something happen the past week and wanted to pass along...I guess if I
live to be 100 I'll be one smart cookie...

I have my property sprayed w/ all natural stuff and over the years haven't
had much of an issue w/ ticks, despite living in a heavily wooded area.
When I did use Frontline, (dogs out at shows) I noticed it wasn't working as
well as it once had.

Anywho....saw a few ticks in September (plain old brown dog ticks), and
ordered/tried Zodiac collars.  Wow...did they work!!!!

BUT, BUT, BUT had a bad experience this week.  The dogs had been  shedding
like crazy, so threw a few up on the table and blew them out.

Later that evening I noticed "JR" squinting.  I'm thinking what the  heck
is wrong w/ that dog's eyes????

Turns out that there was a warning on the back of the flea and tick box not
 to get the powder in your eyes (one can assume the same goes for the dogs'
 eyes).

These collars had been one for 6-7 weeks!!!!  You would think the  "powder"
would be long gone!  The collars had certainly gotten  wet!!!!!

Poor dog...he's bathed and has eye ointment, but I feel like a bad  mom:((((

Moral of the story, I guess I'm done w/ tick collars..........

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC