[ SHOWGSD-L ] Walk a mile in our shoes

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 00:09:01 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2006 2:53:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
GrnRam415@xxxxxxx writes:
.   You
may be one of the honest judges and that is a good thing.  But  there are too
many that aren't.  My list of honest judges is a short  one.

How strange. I agree with Fred, and that is not a normal thing  for me.  I
have been in this sport for a bit. I have shown in at least 500  shows, and
probably more.  I have seen some stupid judging, and some  ignorant judging.
Most
of the time I see hard working honest people, who do a  good job.  Some times
I don't agree, but I know at least 100 people who  judge German shepherds.
When I go through the book of judges qualified, (or  at least licensed) to
judge
our breed, I don't see one I consider  dishonest.  Even those I won't show
under, do not match that  allegation.

It is an insult to think that judges actually would cheat, lie  or worse. I
know it is always easy to blame the judge.  But, get a license,  go into the
center of that ring, know that your friends and enemies are watching  you and
every move you make, and will discuss it for months later.  Then,  when you
have
stood there, agreed to give your opinion, and do so in front of  everyone,
you can then decide why anyone would be dishonest.  You have paid  for your own
parking at the airport, you have given up two days of your life,  you have
gotten to a motel and sat alone so no one has to talk to you. You have  gotten
up
early, eaten breakfast alone, and ridden to the show with someone you  never
met, who can't talk to you about dogs. You stand alone in the sun, rain,  or
even snow, and make sure the handlers don't fool you.  You see dogs that  need
to be bathed, won't stand, are frightened, and in bad condition. Your feet
hurt, your back aches, you have a headache, you do get fed, but food chosen by
others, and then fly home, and get in late, and head to work the next day, and
 can't discuss with anyone at work why you missed the weekend.  Most of the
time you do get some of your expenses paid, and only lose a little of your
costs.  For months you hear what you missed, and why you put up what you  did,
(and seldom is it the true reasons).

If you do that, and decide to cheat inside the ring, you will  find yourself
with no assignments, few friends, and no self respect.  Then  you can talk
about how dishonest we all are.

I was not offended, disappointed perhaps.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together