[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WUSV

  • From: Cynthia VanDenBerge <vande001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Show GSD List <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 03:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

Ah, it just hit me.  I think that the cause of all of these questions about the
WDA may be coming from people's mis-understanding of what the WUSV actually is
and does.  It is not a competitive event or a group that meets to compete in
schutzhund, which seems to maybe be the impression that some people have.  The
WUSV is an international body, kind of like the UN, that meets to discuss
issues pertaining to our beloved breed on a world wide scale.  Each country can
be represented by only one parent organization.  One semi-prerequesite is that
the representing body be active in all aspects of the breed....including
schutzhund.  Well, the GSDCA did not do that.  For a while this was OK because
there were no challengers within this country to sit in the American WUSV seat.
 Well, then Schutzhund USA came along and challenged the GSDCAs position.  One
trump card that they played is that the GSDCA did not truly represent the breed
as it is known internationally because they did not
 participate in schutzhund.   Then the WDA was formed to meet the challenge.  I
don't want to insult anyone, but there is no way that Schutzhund USA would
truly represent our breed.  As has been said already, it was a little tricky
because of the AKCs position on schutzhund...so the way it was all set up is
how the GSDCA got around the biting dog issue.
So, I am sure that there are a few factual glitches that I have made, so please
forgive me for that.  David Landau is one expert on this.  I just want those
who may be newer to understand the importance of the WUSV and our being a part
of this group.  Thanks  Cynthia
DaniaKarloff@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 5/31/2005 9:34:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
InquestGSD@xxxxxxx writes:
I would love to turn this into an educational issue, so if you are only
bitching please don't bother me. I prefer to become part of the solution,
not
increase the problem. However, I will consider it very disrespectful as a
member not to receive an answer

Well... Hopefully, those who have more knowledge of this issue will answer
with more details. Briefly, this is what I know.....

The WDA started as a committee of the GSDCA to meet the needs of GDCA
members that wanted to compete in Schutzhund and protection activities. When
AKC
ruled that any dog sport which included "biting" could not be associated with
an AKC event, the WDA became a separate organization but with close ties to
the GSDCA - most of its officers were also GSDCA board members.

This "partnered" organization sends a team to the World Union of German
Shepherd Dogs (WUSV) where they compete under the name of GSDCA. Since the WUSV
only allows one team per country, the United States team is composed of
GSDCA/WDA members and U.S.A. (United Schutzhund Club of America) members. The
GSDCA contributes to send this competition team to Europe.

Over the years a number of GSDCA board members have also served as board
members of WDA and the issue of conflict of interest has often been raised.

Dania

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original

http://mail.yahoo.com