[ SHOWGSD-L ] WITH OR WITHOUT YOU

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:31:42 -0500

                                                   WITH OR WITHOUT YOU
                                                                        BY
                                                     BARBARA J. GALASSO

I used to own the house with the little white picket fence around the
front yard.  The grass was green and the flowers were always in bloom.
Now I own the house with the privacy fence around the whole yard and the
chain link fence on the brown spotted back lawn with its wilted flowers
for company.

I use to drive the little red sports car with the leather upholstery and
the radio turned up loud with its pulsating music.
Now I drive a van with five crates in the back seats with the radio
tuned into listen for the latest weather reports on my way to the dog
shows seven hours away.

I used to have beautiful shiny mahogany Baker tables in my living room
and elegant floor length mirrors in my bed room.
Now those tables are replaced with covered crates, and doggy nose
smudges adorn my reflection staring back at me.

I used to have the finest oriental carpets grace my floors.
Now there's not a rug to be found in the entire house.  Instead it's
replaced with strategically muddy footprints on barren floors as if
designer made.

I used to kick off my shoes when I came home and walk around in my socks.
Now when I kick off my shoes and walk around in my socks, every hair
that you shed adheres to my socks and takes a walk along with me from
room to room.

I used to place a throw pillow tossed here and there to lie besides the
fireplace.
Now I see the crumbs and broken pieces of marrow bones left behind and
crumbled on the floor.

I used to smell the aroma of a scented candle of Vanilla Bean, or
perhaps Spiced Apple.
Now I smell the musty smell of wet dog coats and doggy breath and the
little deposits of what your puppies leave behind.

I used to go to the beauty parlor and get my hair and nails done.
Now I take you to go to the dog groomer to get your coat and nails done.

I used to cook a gourmet meal once or twice a week.
Now I cook microwave frozen dinners for the hubby and me, because I'm
too busy chopping, peeling and cooking fresh meats and vegetables for you.

I used to have one warm body with his arm wrapped around me to snuggle
up next to in my king sized bed.
Now instead, I have 3 or 4 king sized bodies that throw their big legs
and feet every which way all over me in my overly crowed bed.

I used to wear coordinating warm up sports sets with "New Balance"
sneakers to go out to lunch with friends or to go to the gym for a work
out.
Now I wear worn out sweats, with my equally worn out rubber boots to
hose your kennel down and most of the time, I'm too tired to even think
about lunch, no less do "crunches" at the gym.

I use to wear department store cosmetics and smell of designer perfumed
fragrances.
Now I'm lucky if I remember to put "Lady Mitchum" deodorant on, and I
smell just like you!

I used to go on vacation to some romantic, exotic island, or explore
some little out of the way corner of the world or escape to a week-end
get away while dining at the finest restaurants.
Now my week-end get away is to some regional dog show with shriveled up
hot dogs and cheese wiz nachos as my meal of the day.   And my vacation
is to the National Specialty show where I'm cooped up for days with
hundreds more like you.

Before it was always all about me.  Now it's always all about you.
Before I loved and expected to be loved in return.  You loved and
expected nothing in return.
Before I'd watch every word I'd say, for fear of being judged the fool.
Now I can always act the fool and even laugh at myself, and you never
judge me.
Before I always read about what it meant to give unconditional love.
Now I know and experience what it means to receive unconditional love.
Before I was told if you love someone, set them free and if they love
you, they'll return, and if they don't they were never yours to begin
with......or something along those lines.
Now I have you, who will never leave, who will always love, and who has
set my soul free.