[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHY low entrees? REALLY...??

  • From: blackhawkfarms214 <blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ducksavsfan@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:30:29 -0500

older breeders who used to show heavily are no longer here or they are
slowing down to just a few dogs. Remember when the Schokrests, Clayfields,
Covy Tucker Hills, and others brought out entire litters for futurities and
the like? Its not just GSDs that are lacking. In the southeast, there used
to be a TON of Scottish terrier breeders --even when I moved here about 4
and half years ago. Entries were STRONG. Had entries of 23-25 with Six
Specials on a typical weekend. Half owner handled , half with handlers and
the competition was KEEN. Many owners could groom and trim as well as the
professionals and often won. As one of my friends pointed out.. most of
those breeders are dead or retired or just don't have it in their bones to
show anymore.
Second: I do believe (caveat: AT THE CLASS LEVEL) a good dog, in good
condition, presented well CAN and WILL win. It is not easily done but when
we lost, we didn't just go back and say, "Handlers are taking over the
breed..." we went back and conditioned harder, watched those professionals
and even asked about what could we do to make it better. Unfortunately most
people try to ask when the handlers getting ready to show or at the busiest
and its not a good time.

I cant say that I have seen that much nastiness around and in the ring.
There are people who generously share their time and thoughts with you.
When I attended the GSDC of East TN specialty last year. I was made to feel
very welcome, same goes for the Atlanta club specialty (sorry Augusta, I
missed out for a horse show). Im still learning about specialty but have
found MANY people (lots of the older breeders and successful handlers).
This is not just limited to the GSD breed, but others. I just had my first
hand at Smooth Fox Terriers and have found the people quite friendly.. Of
course, Im the newbie and Im on my best behavior. One long time exhibitor
corrected me in the ring and said, "Quit baiting your dog's nose down like
a scottie, you are losing her neck and she has one.. bait her up.." the
judge laughed and said, "hes right!" and proceeded to put me first in the
open bitch class and on to winners and said, "you are a quick study!"  :-)

I think a lot of it is perspective. If you go seeking bad, you will find
it.. If you surround yourself with encouraging, nice people... the shows
are like that. I don't take them too seriously anymore. its just a show. I
know what I have at the end of my lead.. sometimes I may win and most often
not, but I do enjoy the company I find at the shows... Even in the pouring
rain!

Mike

http://showgsd.org/mail.html