[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHY PEOPLE DON'T STAY

  • From: Sheila Lieberman <sheilaofmiami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:15:11 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, buy from breeders with track records, go through handlers.  What about the
first time breeder who happens to get it right.  Not that I have 3 champions, I
don't know yet.  But all were first time breeders at one time.  How did they
sell their show stock?  Would a first time breeder go to more venerated
breeders to help sell the pups?

  That is what I will be doing when I decide who to sell as show stock, but is
that the best way to sell show stock? sheila
<hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have come on this thread a bit late and perhaps this is a spin off of the
original thread..but Barbara poses a very good question who do new people
buy dogs from and why would you buy from someone without a proven track
record of success?
Actually I heard this was a topic of discussion at a show a couple of weeks
ago. The point was made that now days people don't
contact established successful breeders as they did years ago, but buy
prospects from those who haven't proven their success.
Of course even dogs from successful breeders, sometimes dogs don't pan
out..but to me you would certainly increase your chances of getting a
winner by going that route. Also I would like to pose this question..why do
people buy dogs through handlers and not buy contacting the breeder
directly? I have had people personally say to me " I asked my handler to
find me a dog..why couldn't he find me one as good as you sold this
person." Simple answer..."you didn't' contact me." Barbara states to ask
questions..read what you get your hands on. Learn how to interpret the
stats in the Red Book..not just read the articles. Act confident..be
confident...just because you are new doesn't mean you need to be
"sheepish." When Steve and I decided to stay in GSD's we decided to breed
to the best dog we could afford to breed to and to acquire a couple of well
bred brood bitches. I contacted Barbara, the Ford's and others, and bred to
their dogs...sometimes it worked..sometimes it didn't..but that is dog
breeding. I didn't know them..they didn't know me..but I wasn't afraid to
talk to them and ask questions and LEARN! Listening, learning and watching
people that are successful is the best tool for success and learn to
imitate that success.Christine Grainger

the breeders guide them??My first shepherd was from a breeder who advised
me to join the local GS club in Miami..While she did not show or mentor me
after that..I joined the club went to meetings and LEARNED..Read books
etc..Helped out at the shows..I never felt left out or stupid,,I met the
handlers and exhibitors coming to the Florida circuit..Also the Judges at
the dinners where you can speak to them and ask questions...SOOOO why dont
the new people do the same???By helping out they will feel part of the
SPORT...Experience is the best teacher..Barbara Amidon PS by reading and
watching you will be amazed at what you can learn

> http://www.geocities.com/amberkennel

> POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the

> VISIT OUR WEBSITE - URL temporarily deleted due to AOL issues

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sheila of Miami
Mernydex GSD's
Loving Obedience Dog Training

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.