[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHY DO WE HAVE SHEPHERDS?

  • From: Zoa Rockenstein <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx, The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 06:36:48 -0800 (PST)

I would agree that gsds do obedience, agility, conformation, rally, etc.
because they love us and want to please us.  Most have an additional need to
satisfy their work ethic by having some sort of job to do.  Herding, however,
is different.  This taps directly into their instinct (assuming you have a dog
with herding instinct--not all do).  My dogs do obedience, rally, herding, and
conformation.  They enjoy going with me to do whatever.  But, when it comes to
herding, they just go nuts with excitement when we turn into the farm drive.
It is about what THEY want to do.  Herding is a reward I give them, 2-3 times a
week, for being the wonderful dogs they are and doing what I want them to do
the rest of the time.  I hope you get into it, Penny!  I have been having fun
with gsds for over fifty years, but this is the most fun activity I have ever
done with them.
Zoa

Dr. Zoa Rockenstein
www.riverrockshepherds.com
Home of Ch. RiverRock's Hotel Callifornia CHIC, STDs, OFTDs, JHD (Callie),
High Scoring Champion in Herding at 2009 GSDCA National Specialty Show, and
RiverRock's Straight From The Heart (Sera Jane), a legend in her own mind!