[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHITE DOGS

  • From: "arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx" <arycrest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Karen4paws@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 01:26:42 GMT

The color white was disqualified by the CKC in 1998.
http://www.whiteshepherdclub.ca/club.htm
Gayle & the Hooligans!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=6&uid=4294023 - Link to The
Hooligans Albums

-- Karen4paws@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 8/24/2006 11:07:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gsdbroon@xxxxxxx writes:
The main  thrust for disqualification came from breeders'  irritation at
seeing  classified ads in Dog World advertising German Shepherd Dog  "Rare
Whites".

This is a sad reason to disqualify White dogs. When I got my first German
Shepherd (as an adult) whom many of you will remember, my wonderful Ben, I
wanted a Black. The only thing I knew about GSDs was that when I was born in
Frankfurt Germany, my parents bought a Black German Shepherd. Moonco was with
me
the first 8 years of my life. After that my parents went to other breeds. When
I  got Ben I answered an ad in a local paper advertising (you may have
guessed) RARE Black GSDs lol lol  Of course I didn't know better. I guess  it
was a
good thing because there was no finer dog! However, we would not  disqualify
Blacks because there are those advertising them as rare. I would  hazard a
guess that this is true even if it was in a major magazine. There have  always
been those who prey on others who are lacking in knowledge and always  will be.
After all a person who did not want to adopt one of the dogs we  dropped from
our program because she wanted a purebred dog - went to a pet  shop and paid
$1,300 for a Labradoodle.

I think we should revisit colors in our dogs in the standard. I may be  wrong
as I am far from an expert but I think I recall from a previous time this
subject came up on da list that the White dogs and dilutes were considered
undesirable because originally in Germany it was decided that they were weak in

character. Of course, they are not truly weak in character because of a color
and color has nothing to do with who the GSD is. My Blue male has a gorgeous
color and I would LOVE to have and show a dog of his color! Not my Jager lol
as  with most rescue dogs he is definitely not a show dog  <<<grin>>> but he is
most certainly STRONG in character LOL

I do believe in Canada the White dogs and Dilute dogs like my Blue can  show.
Is this true and have they always allowed the lighter colors? If they did
not allow them at one time and now do then perhaps there is hope that in the
future the standard in the USA will change yet again and allow them to show! I
think that would be a good thing but that is just my opinion.

Karen Shirk, Executive Director 4 Paws For Ability, Inc.
253  Dayton Ave Xenia, Ohio 45385
937-374-0385 Office 937-768-9098 Cell
_www.4pawsforability.org_ (http://www.4pawsforability.org/)   karen4p
aws@xxxxxxx