[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHITE DOGS

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:57:16 -0400

Is it time for the "white" debate again already???  ;)

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:48:26 -0500, "D.D. and Bonnie
Ardoin" <cudjoegsd@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20

>After reading Tom`s informative post to the List,  I can`t help from
>bringing up the subject of "undesirable" vs "Fault".  The Standard of =
the
>GSDCA goes from "undesirable" to "disqualified" in one Standard change. =
>me this indicates that "undesirable" might be more serious that =
originally
>thought.  Is it just me or do you see this in the same light as I do?

Depends on exactly what *color* "white" you're talking
about. I can certainly agree with and get behind the idea
that an albinoid animal is undesirable because albinism is
recognized as being a genetic fault. However, white GSDs
are not albinos, nor are they albinoid in the same sense
as "white" (Tyrosinase Positive) Doberman Pinschers. White
GSDs are simply that... white. Just like a white Poodle.
It's not a big deal really.

You all have to remember that the science of genetics was
in its infancy when the GSD breed was being developed. We
know so much more today than ever dreamed of before, with
DNA testing possible to determine the colors of dogs even.

A presentation was recently made to the Parent Club by at
least 2 of the major "white" organizations. You have the
information you asked for; the ball is in your court.
Seems to me that GSDCA could solve this "problem" by
either letting white dogs show or letting them (us) go.

Respectfully,
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx