[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHERE HAVEavhL THE ENTRIES GONE

  • From: Medusasmom <medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wdlnd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:27:21 -0400

I remember my first dog show ever, it was in 1979 at the Monroe Kennel Club.
Jim Norris was judging. I probably still have the catalog somewhere. There were
55 males 63 bitches and 6 specials! Now THAT was a dog show! I remember an all
breed puppy match in Shepard Mi had a GSD entry of 93, the GSD club of Detroit
puppy match always was an EVENT with around 80-100 dogs or so. I remember 2-4
puppy bitch class once Mimi Saltz judged where the puppies were lined up the
entire circumference of the ring.26 of them! I remember it distinctly as my
puppy T-Ho's Strip Tease(ch Ekolan's Wracker x my Zeto of fran jo daug , T-Ho's
Randida of Woodside CD,TC,ROM)Strippymon won that huge class!
As late as the early 90s we talked a all breed club into giving us a scecialty
judge for their yearly winter match and we had 113 puppies one year! Ah yes
those were the days!
We had training classes and worked each others dogs, helped each other work
through problems, got together and watched national videos, had new Champion
parties and mourned our friends lost dogs. Memorials were always put in the
review or club catalog .members often held parties after specialities or
futurities at their homes and you could learn buckets of history just listening
to the long time breeders talk. I picked up so much over a delicious spaghetti
dinner listening to Fred Migliore talk about back in the day! Listening to the
McCoys talk about old times and heard about a small group of fanciers getting
together and co breeding a litter splitting the expense so they all could get a
well bred dog.
It seems like just a little while ago that all this was going on. I had just
put a high in trial from novice A with a 1971/2 score on my 9 imonth old Cori &
had just saved a whole year an a half to buy my foundation bitch Randida. I
guess the best way to realize how long ago it was is the fact that Ann Schultz
had not yet finished a Champion! I miss our big shows and fun  social' time of
the  past. Sure hope it goes full circle and comes around again.
Hey anybody want to work dogsThursday???

Tami Howard
T-Ho Shepherds
Since 1979

Medusasmom...forever