[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHAT TIME IS IT? I AM CONFUSED

  • From: "L. Hartten" <hartten@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wynsum@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:17:54 -0600

On 10/28/07 1:05 PM, Doc Zoe wrote:
> My car says one thing and then my computer says it is time to remove DST
>
> I went to a 10am meeting and everyone thought it was 10am but I guess it was
> really 9 am
>
> Or was it?
>
> And maybe it was the Change that crashed the server ....

  I had this problem, too, and since I work on the same campus as some
of the NIST divisions that's 2 reasons to do a little research.

  The clocks that "set themselves" all start by receiving the signal
broadcast from towers in Ft. Collins and Kauai by the National Institute
of Standards and Technology (NIST, see the Time & Frequency Division's
web page at http://tf.nist.gov).  According to the Practice Guide put
out by NIST (available at http://tf.nist.gov/stations/radioclocks.htm),
the time code that's broadcast "includes information that tells the
[device] whether standard time (ST) or daylight saving time (DST) is
currently in effect, and also whether the current day is a transition
day from ST to DST, or from DST to ST."  Best practices are that the
device checks that information every time it synchronizes with the
signal, and adjusts accordingly.  However, some devices (like my VCR!)
don't bother to check -- the programmers coded the US rules for when to
spring forward & fall back into the machine, and the machine resets
itself using that code.  Works just fine until the government changes
the rules and changes the dates!

Cheers,
  Leslie
--
Leslie M. Hartten                web: http://spot.colorado.edu/~hartten
Indi (TerraNorte's Midnight Indigo, German Shepherd Dog)  &  Brittany