[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: WHAT THE HELL - and who cares!!!!

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:39:44 -0700

Trahanone@xxxxxxx:
A while back we discussed editors and the board had to make a  decision.
The person that was elected has greatly improved our Review but  how did
this editor let this article get out without thinking about the
consequences. There is freedom of speech but an editor has responsibility
also  of printing material that is factual and has legal obligations.  Many
legal  suits are filed everyday regarding defamation of character and as an
editor you  must be aware of those issues. That's why it was important to
hire a  firm/company that does this for a living versus what we
did........again  possible a decision the board made that possible has now
led to not so good  results.
I have been trying to read between the lines on what has been happening at
this meeting.  While I agree that some of what has been reported sounds
extremely bad -- until I'm able to talk to several people who were there,
I'm holding off on getting my knickers in a knot.  (They say turning 40 does
this to people, and I'm proof positive).  However -- I have to say this...
The BIGGEST PROBLEMS our club has at this time on the Board level -- are the
fact we have TOO MANY BOARD MEMBERS who don't have a personal fiddlers fig
of an idea how:

1) Roberts Rules of Order work and their use.  This is the absolute biggest
problem we have.  These guys get voted in because of "name" recognition, or
how nice they are on the list, or how "they're going to change things" when
they get there with no real fundamental knowledge of how to make motions,
which motions can't be retracted, which ones can, when they can press for
discussion, when the president can be told they're out of line, when a lot
of things.  This whole "AH" (I like that acronym -- it's a good one ...
instead of his name, figure the other part out LOL) thing is a result of
poor procedure and not following the original bylaws & P/P that says we need
two sponsors -- DUH.  And gee... WHO WERE THE PEOPLE WHO LET THAT
HAPPEN?????  How come there's no roasting spit for them???
2) Business -- Several good working board members really haven't got a a
real clue of an idea how to run a business.  This is fundamental, because
I'm sorry -- the GSDCA is a corporation with some fairly decent assets.
Just because someone has been a successful dog person doesn't mean they have
a clue about running a business; conversely, just because a person is just
because someone is in business, means they are good at running a company.  A
certain level of success in both venues, with a stress on the business
aspects should be the people who even consider running for a Board position.
Additionally, just because someone is a lawyer, teacher, dentist, certified
salesperson, whatever, doesn't mean they are good -- I'll steal a phrase
from Christine Grainger -- "You can be a doctor -- some graduate at the top
of their class and there are those who graduate at the bottom of their
class, and there's no way to know because they are all titled Doctor and it
doesn't mean they are skilled."
3) Probably most important --- POLITICAL B*LLSH*T that has colored this and
previous boards.  This fragmentation of the Board has been the cause of a
lot of strife over the years, but when you add the other two issues to it --
viola' we have chaos.  Right now -- this type of cross-purpose bildgewater
is causing us a lot of issue.  People have been using their Board Positions
for stepping stones for Judging assignments, including the National, or for
more their own personal "stature".

I'm sick of all of this --- Corporation or not --- this is supposed to be a
DOG CLUB -- About the dogs -- not about this other crappola.

Kathaleen