[ SHOWGSD-L ] WDA/ WUSV Trials

  • From: MyJoyGS@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 12:35:33 -0500 (EST)

I read the letter last night and decided to sleep on it until I  commented.
 However, I feel the same way today as I did last night and here  are a few
things that I ask why?????

  In 2000 we committed to hosting the 2013 WUSV World Trials without  and I
quote "fully understanding the financial obligations associated with
producing such an event"   That would be like me committing to  buying a house
without fully understanding what my responsibilities  would be in owning a
house, not knowing what the mortgage payment would be, not  knowing what the
property taxes would be and considering the rise in property  taxes, not
knowing what the insurance will cost...you get the picture.   So why did the
board during that time commit to something without getting  all the facts and
put our club's survival on the line?

Why did it take until the last couple of years to get on the ball and try
to make money for this event to minimize the hit on the club's finances.
Why in 13 years wasn't some type of budget set up and money set aside to help
us  thru this.  Maybe there was and we don't know about it but to be
$100,000  and maybe more in the negative on this event is not acceptable.  ( I
do
appreciate the present board's attempt to minimize the impact on our
finances,  but to late in my opinion, this should have been started the day we
committed)

There were many members including myself who felt we should have backed out
 of this commitment or negotiated that we would sponsor some of this event
but  not all considering our financial status... but no we couldn't go back
on our  commitment even though in could hurt the club tremendously
financially. We  had to ATTEMPT to produce the trials and preserve our
relationship
with the  WDA/WUSV, and what makes this even more upsetting is the WDA/WUSV
could  care less about the GSDCA, they have used us in every way and now
because  they didn't adhere to our agreement about approved  expenses, they are
suing us, really???  In my opinion they would like  nothing better then to
see us go under and I for one say we should cut them  loose and have nothing
more to do with them.  We should concentrate on  salvaging our club finances.

Now we have a law suit to deal with which will take more money that we
don't have.  My question is "Was it worth it"  The board is there to  represent
our members, I think a little more thought was needed before we  committed
to such a huge and costly endeavor, one that could destroy our  club.

I also feel that our 100th Anniversary national celebration could have been
 so much more and probably would have been if we were not so worried about
money  and how much we would lose putting on the trials.  ( I am not bashing
the  national planners and workers for this I am sure money was a factor
and  they did a good job with what they had to work with).

I am all for supporting the working dog sport but we don't have to go broke
 to do that and certainly if its not appreciated!!!!

I would like to ask that in the future, the powers that be, when making a
huge decision with the club's money (which is the memberships money)
research  before committing, make sure we can do it before committing, and make
sure that  there is something in for the club and I am not talking about a
"lawsuit"  There should be a benefit for the club and not about egos and
trying to win over someone who doesn't really want to play in our sandbox.

Joyce  Willis
MyJoy German Shepherds
Home of Sel Exc Ch. Aramist Enchanted of  MyJoy

http://showgsd.org/mail.html