[ SHOWGSD-L ] WAIT FOR PROPER GAITING

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 00:35:11 EDT

In a message dated 7/3/2009 7:30:33 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, Janandmort
writes:
The  rudder is the turning mechanism on a ship, boat as well as an airplane
but the  dog turns with the fore-assembly. That is why the dip is present
between the  thoracic and lumbar vertebra as this is the pivot point--I know
you know this  and know your tongue in cheek response means you are in good
form!!!!

Indeed the tongue and cheek were involved.

I have enjoyed the discussions of movement, and Morton is the man to listen
 to.  We have a lot of good judges and a lot more good dogs.  Movement  is
easily defined and discussed, but can be harder to recognize by some.
Until you see great movement, it is like trying to describe a sunset.  The
colors are there, but the combination is what makes it work.

A Supreme Court Justice said, he couldn't describe pornography, but he
knew it when he saw it, (where he saw it is another question).  Much like
correct movement, it can be observed, and words aren't enough.

When I see it in the ring, I often take the dog for an extra lap or two. It
 is for my pleasure, so when I ask a dog to take another lap, that is a
good  thing.

I have actually lost myself in the enjoyment of watching a great dog take
the ring.  I have seen other judges do it too. We don't like to admit it,
but you know who you are.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/