[ SHOWGSD-L ] WAGS FOR WISHES ... MAKE-A-WISH FOUNDATION ... GSD's and more

  • From: "Nike Clayfield Paladin GSD List" <ncpgsdlist@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "__LIST MAIL" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:36:10 -0700

This past weekend (July 8, 9, 10), we were very proud to have many GSD
participants representing our breed at the annual WAGS FOR WISHES Fundraiser
in Del Mar, CA. for the MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION.  Entry fees were given
directly to MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION.

Over the past three days, people volunteered their time, donated money,
and/or brought their dogs out for a FUN-PACKED weekend of events that I have
not seen the likes of in ... well, I cannot remember when.

The (3-day) weekend consisted of FlyBall competitions, Agility Trials,
Herding Instinct Testing, AHBA Herding Trials, Dock Dog Competition, Lure
Coursing, EarthDog Competition, Canine Good Citizen Certifictation (CGC), an
ASCA Aussie Specialty, FreeStyle Demonstrations, Rescue Adoptions, Rally
Obedience and traditional Obedience Trials.  It was a county fair for dogs!
The turn out was incredible!

Our own "Yogi Bear" participated as a member of the Heel-Along Precision
Drill Team as the newest member - and the ONLY GSD on the team. Yogi was
invited to join the established team just 7 weeks ago after graduating top
in her class in Novice Obedience. Mostly, the team consists of Goldens and
Poodles with a few labs (black and yellow), two Irish Setters, a Doberman, a
Dalmation, and a Shiba. There are 18 dogs in total.

Let me tell you, the "lone shepherd" is a real draw for a big crowd, and boy
did Yogi figure that one out fast! What a little ham! We learned that she
likes applause even better than liver! Our team gave two performaces each
day and it was hard work, but LOTS of FUN!

Gloria and I are pleased to have had family members and co-owners come out
with their GSD's to share in this great weekend and WONDERFUL CAUSE. I
believe there were eleven of our (including co-owned or rescued) dogs
actively participating at this event.

Over the weekend, these dogs earned first legs and some final legs in
working events plus nine CGC's and the proceeds will go to MAKE A WISH! It
doesn't get better than this.

The public relations for our breed over the course of these three days was
amazing. Gloria and I do a lot of GSD P.R. work with our dogs, but I have to
tell you that the results from these three days seemed to be as significant
as what we get from working with the Parks, Community Centers, and assisted
living.

If your club is looking for a great way to make a contribution to something
really special, this might be worth looking into in your area. Just a
thought.

We will definitely be reserving this weekend in years to follow to
participate in this important event.
Thanks for letting us share.

MAKE A WISH ... it just might come true ...

Sharlonna

~~ NCP ~~ Nike Clayfield Paladin
Sharlonna C. McGaha and Dr. Gloria S. Rice