[ SHOWGSD-L ] Voting

  • From: "LEE SMITH" <ladyaramis1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 01:40:53 -0400

I'm sure that most of us have gotten our ballots and are talking over we are
going to vote for. For those of you who haven't sent them in yet, especially
the newer members, I thought I'd share some opinion about voting. Please
delete this e-mail if you so desire and I'll tell you these are my opinions
only. Like I said, if you don't care to hear my opinions just delete.

First, let me say that I have made many mistates over the years. One of my
biggest was voting for friends. Some of them turned out to be terrific board
members and some were disasters, so I'm far from perfect. I also thought
some people were going to be terrible and they turned out to be terrific.
This is what I look for:

1. Someone who is still active in GSDs. Even though someone may have retired
and cannot show GSDs at this time, I still expect them to be active with
their local or national club. I will not vote for someone who finished a dog
20 years ago and has not done anything else other than  raise their voice.
The candidate can be active in any aspect of the breed -- judging,
conformation, OB, herding, schutzhund, agility, The Charitable Foundation,
or taking a very active role in committee work. I don't care the venue, but
I want current leaders.

2. Someone who is member of their local club and an active member. I realize
that is not always possible, but if someone cannot work well with their
local club or doesn't have the time to be involved, I don't think they will
have the time, team work, courage, stamina or perserverence to suceed at a
national level. The amount of work required to be a good board member is
mind boggling.

3. Someone who has been actively involved at a national level -- and not
just the year before the election. I'm looking for someone who is an
experienced committee chair or an active member of a major committee. My
reasoning goes back to #2, but it also shows me, quite frankly, they can
"put their money where their mouth is." Being an active member also allows
me to call other board members, committee chairs -- at a local or national
level -- to ask about their work ethic, decision making ability, and their
ability to get along with others who may not share their opinion.

4. Someone who brings a needed skill level to the club. We need board
members who are well educated, sophisticated business people, individuals
who have responsibilties for the areas of the club that require technical
know-how. For example: lawyers, insurance executives, senior management
executives, business owners, and people experienced as parlamentarians or
served on the board for a large board of directors. Of course, this is not a
complete list. We need people who are experienced in human resourses, or are
professional handlers, or who have run large, successful regionals clubs.
Often times, it takes someone must be retired to find the time, but I want
to know skills they bring to the club. And, of course, people can build
qualifications through years of experience taking on responsibilities. But,
then I go back to #2 and #3.

Regards,

Lee Smith