[ SHOWGSD-L ] Virginia's HB339

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 13:42:32 -0500

    While I have not had official word, I have been given to understand
that HB339 passed the full Senate this morning.  Now, anyone who owns a
licensed dog in the Commonwealth of Virginia will have all private and
personal information available to all and sundry, thru the Internet.
There will be no need for FOIA -- and, in case some of you don't know,
the fact that FOIA exists doesn't mean anyone can have any information
just by asking!  There are restrictions in place.  It is not and never
was "the wide open free for all just because you're nosy" Freedom of
Information Act.
    Previously, the relationship between veterinarians and clients was
pretty much held to the same standards as between doctors and human
patients...that is, unless there was a danger to the common good, what
went on was nobody's business.  No longer.
    Thanks to those of you who understood that this ARista inspired bill
was bad and has set a terrible precedent...for those of you who think
there was anything good or useful about it, good for you.  I hope you
don't have to pay the price for not helping to kill this bill.
Peggy