[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vinyl Fencing

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:54:20 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/2006 2:08:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
We just  moved back to my hometown in Ohio and will be putting a fence up for
our dogs,  but haven't made a decision which type.  We had 5 ft. chain link
fence at  our old house and are now thinking of the vinyl type instead -
something more  attractive looking.  Has anyone used the Lowes type of vinyl
fence
and  how well does it hold up.  5 ft. or 6 ft?  Racked or stepped.   Our yard
has a little grade also.  We got an estimate on a better quality  of fence, but
the cost is outrageous.  Help!!
--
LuAnn  Kennedy
St. Clairsville, OH

A subject near and dear to my heart since I spent many months  learning all I
could about fencing before doing my job at the new place...

Your climate in OH is like mine in PA where the problem with vinyl is that
after many changes in temperature, it becomes brittle.  My sister  looked into
it for the horses, and while it IS attractive, horses have crashed  thru and
it shatters with pieces making a real mess of the horse.  I asked  if the same
thing could happen w/ dogs, and was told, in fact, it can. At a  minimum, it
will crack over time. (There are obviously different grades of  Vinyl too; I
learned quickly that Home Depot and Lowes aren't carrying the  better grades.)

Vinyl may work better where there isn't so much climate change.

Where I wanted solid fencing, I went with 6 foot stockade that was built on
site.  I couldn't do that for the entire area (acres/hilly/wooded) because  I
was told the wind would take it down.  In fact, I expect over the years  to
have to maintain the stockade portion more than other fence  on the  property
(but it sure is pretty!).

I went with a combination of 1 inch 5 and 6 foot  tall black, 9  gauge black
vinyl coated mini-mesh, agricultural wooden posts every eight  feet with  6
inch x i inch x 8 feet hemlock boards on top and bottom for  the perimeter and
interior paddocks fencing (6 foot on the perimeter, 5 foot  for  the paddocks.
(I had it made by a security company).  You  can't see the black through the
woods. The agricultural posts had to be pounded  into the ground, (with a
machine, sounded like the fence crew was looking for  oil!) and those were 8
feet
and 12 feet tall respectively.  (They were sunk  2+ feet in, then the tops
trimmed flush w/ the mesh). I spent a fortune for  concrete for the posts and
all
the different gates and hardware, lol!  The  security fence solved the
problem re the potential wind damage and I sure don't  want anything  spaced
like
horse/cattle/hog fence that a dog can pull and  ear through. I love the heavier
gauge security type fence compared to  standard chain link.  So...check out
the security fence companies.   Fencing has risen dramatically in the last few
years, but it would be awful to  spend all that money and not be happy:(

Kathy
member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled Champions live here!

visit _Pine  Hill German Shepherd Dogs_