[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vick vs Rose

  • From: "Tom Elkins" <firethorntemple@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:45:27 -0500

Regina  --  I disagree. It has EVERYTHING to do with his actions. Being in
the Hall of Fame is an honor that cannot be disassociated from the fact that
he undermined the integrity of all of professional baseball in the most
egregious way possible by betting on games. He knew that the consequence of
his actions if caught would be banishment, but he chose to do it anyways,
and then he lied about it for years. If someone made a ton of money for a
bank while he/she was an effective president of the bank, but then got fired
for embezzling from the bank, would they put his/her picture up in the board
room?
     Ownership of the Hall of Fame is irrelevant. No on will enter the Hall
of Fame without the approval of MLB, nor should they. Putting him in would
be tantamount to saying, "You can potentially destroy the game, but we'll
still honor you by Hall of Fame placement." I don't think that that should
nor will ever happen for Pete Rose.

tom elkins
Firethorn Temple
http://www.firethorntemple.com