[ SHOWGSD-L ] Veterinarians and hospice care for your dog

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:09:01 -0700 (PDT)

Why is it that some Veterinarians are so loathe to accept the fact that they
are NOT God and cannot control the universe? Why are they afraid to admit that
dogs die..and sometimes there is nothing more you can do than to make their
last days here comfortable..
The dogs family is already struggling with the concept that their beloved
companion is short on time; the last thing they need at that difficult moment
is for a Veterinarian to put on his Superman cape and think he can come
swooping in and hold off the hand of death..that only happens in comic books.
In working with Hospice, I had the honor of sharing in the journey of several
people in the months preceding their "crossing". Because of the palliative care
Hospice provided, they left this plain peacefully...with no fear... no pain;
surrounded by those they loved. It was a beautiful experience that gave me a
whole new insight into the words
"grace under fire"..and an inordinate admiration for the Hospice nurses who
dealt with life and death every day.
The medical field has made great strides in accepting Hospice as an alternative
avenue for humans facing ends of life issues..it seems to this consumer that
the Veterinarian community is sorely lagging behind in developing the
medications necessary to provide the comfort to our companion animals that
would allow them to enjoy their last their days  and face the end with dignity.
As one Hospice nurse said to me, "Its not so much as giving up as it is letting
go..."
I know one Vet who would do well to heed those words.
Dawn...and Kizzy who is slowly...peacefully...letting go