[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vet expenses

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:36:43 -0400

Giselda writes: "I don't think a vet is allowed to do that???? When the shot
is given they must issue the certificate for the amount of years."

In NC, by law, if a rabies vaccination is late or you do not provide proof
that the dog has ever been vaccinated for rabies, only a one year
certificate may be issued.  It may not make sense because the rabies vaccine
offers protection for much longer than 3 years, but it is the law
nonetheless.

Another law in NC...  If you move to NC and your pet has been vaccinated
within the past year, the vaccination is considered valid.  If the
vaccination was given more than one year prior to moving to NC, the owner is
required to revaccinate the pet.  Even if the rabies vaccination was a 3
year shot.

And another...  If you are concerned that your pet may suffer an adverse
reaction to the rabies vaccination and have documented rabies titers
performed instead of vaccinating your pet, this is not considered protection
against rabies in the state of NC. In the event your pet is exposed to
rabies, it will subjected to immediate euthanasia or a six month quarantine
at the discretion of the local health director.

I have a dog with a serious, and at times, life threatening auto-immune
disorder.  I have been told by a very well known Vet that if we vaccinate
our boy for rabies, there's a good chance it will kill him.  Laws or no
laws, I will never give this dog another rabies vaccination.  The one and
only time I've ever had a dog suffer a serious adverse reaction to a
vaccination, it was to a rabies vaccination.

I hope some of these laws governing the rabies vaccination protocol will one
day be changed.  There's ample evidence that the 3-year 'booster"
vaccination provides ample protection against rabies for up to 5 years or
longer.

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds