[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vet expenses

  • From: DOGSRLUV@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx, scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:27:21 EDT

Thank god it is not that way in California.  As long as the dog is  over 1
year old it is a 3 year shot...

In a message dated 10/29/2009 8:30:33 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx writes:
I know  in PA if you don't have proof that the dog is current, the "new"
certificate is only good for one year and the dog has to be  re-vaccinated.

The shot doesn't change, it's still the same  etc., but you have to go back
in
a  year instead of 3.  This  would happen if you didn't have a record of a
prior vaccine and/or  if a dog came to stay w/o an up-to-date rabies  cert.

This doesn't  have anything to do w/ (quoting below) "new vets are now
getting  schooled in the fine art of "billing" their clients and they are
very good learners."

It has to do w/ state law and vets keeping  their records up to date re
"protection" not lapsing and what is  considered, rightly or wrongly, about

vaccination  effectiveness.  (Probably wrongly based on titers I've had
done
for oldsters.)

So...if for whatever reason you go in w/ a dog who  has lapsed or one where

you can't document they are still current,  you get a certificate for 1
year.

Kathy, member GSDCA,  DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd  Champions

visit _http://www.pinehillgsds.com/_  (http://www.pinehillgsds.com/)

In a message dated  10/29/2009 10:54:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scotties@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Cindy,
I don't think a vet is  allowed to do that???? When the  shot is given they
must issue the  certificate for the amount of  years.  I was late with my
dogs
rabies and my vet issued out th 3  year certificate.  I would  look into
it,
because now that means the  rottie breeder has to go in  again in 1 year
and
the rabies should be good  for 3.  Does not  make sense to me.  Mind you,
nothing these days  makes sense at  all! I*ts my new way of looking at
things.

I used to  work for  a vet and at the time it was illegal for anyone other
than a vet  to  give rabies shots.  It may have changed but who would want
take  a chance.

Giselda