[ SHOWGSD-L ] Vet and Prescriptions

  • From: Stormy Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:14:35 -0800

ONe of the things that I have learned doing this "legislation gig," is
that waiting for discussion on a new issue is very important.  There's
a bill before Congress now, brought there by Walmart, that would
require Vets to offer prescriptions to their clients.  Sounds great,
right?  I mean, most vets just immediately tell their staff to get the
meds ready, charge you for them and out the door you go.
But then, think of the unintended consequences.  Vets would then be
MANDATED to fill out a form stating that a paper Rx was handed to you,
a legal paper trail; his office costs would go up; the money that he
might make on the meds mark-up is lost and the Government has one more
inch of the camels nose in our tents.  The Vets may stop stocking meds
that they keep there for the convenience of the client (and to mark up
for sure).

""H.R. 1406 would impose new stipulations on veterinary prescriptions.
The bill requires a veterinarian to 1) write a prescription whether or
not he/she will dispense the product; 2) provide a written disclosure
notifying clients that they may fill prescriptions at the veterinary
clinic or at an off-site pharmacy; and 3) verify a prescription
electronically or by other means consistent with applicable state law."

go to http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.php and type the bill # in the
search box.

Who loses on this?  We do.  Vet's costs go up, Government now has more
of the nose in small businesses, and we spend more of our hard earned
money at the Vet's offices.

A bit OT, but something to ponder and decide for yourselves/

Storm