[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vestibular

  • From: "M. Mike Lynch" <cccaudiology@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: longspeakgs@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:06:26 -0700 (PDT)

Patty,

  It sounds as if this animal had a stroke as well. When I'm away from dogs,
I'm also employed as a clinical audiologist (hence the email address) and if it
was any type of disarticulation in the cochlear-vestibular nerve of the dog,
there would be extreme balance and dizziness issues as it is regulated in the
inner ear. Sometimes, the affects of strokes and brain trauma can disarticulate
the ossicular chain and give some slight affects. However, if it had been
worse, we could see affects that are very similar to Ménière's  disease and
vertigo in this animal. Of course, attacks of either are sudden and the onset
is often un-predictable. Now, many years later post grad school,  I may have
owned a dog which may have been affected by this as the etiology and onset
seems similar to those I have diagnosed in humans.

   In humans we check this process by doing an ENG (electronystagmagraphy)
whereby cold and warm air is introduced respectively into the middle ear and
measuring the directions and distance of the "snaps" in the eyes.

  Please keep me posted on the progress.

  (ok now, im shedding my "work" mode and going back into "Crate Hauler" mode)

  Michael Lynch

www.BlackHawk-Farms.com
Northern California American Saddlebred Horse Association
Vice President (Class of 2007)

starting at 1&cent;/min.