[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Very handy

  • From: Doris E <irrenhaus4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TLSGSD@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:35:03 -0700

TLSGSD@xxxxxxx wrote:
>Hey Carolyn - you might need that flame suit for sure LOL!  A GOOD  poodle
>does NOT have a pushed forward front, it is very similar to a  shepherd's.
>Also
>keep in mind that we are talking about a good and correct  poodle - not
>necessarily what "wins" - one who can hold his/her own gaiting with  a
>shepherd
>anyday -  I HAVE one, and believe me, he can GAIT (well, he can  when he can
>keep
>four feet on the ground)!  And yes - per another email,  you should see
>Jeanne's poodles, both her toys and standards can MOVE!   Just as in all other
>breeds, what is correct and to the standard does not  always win.

 *For many years, I had a Standard poodle bitch who was the best hunting
dog I ever shot over.  She would retrieve in the water, give me the duck
or goose, shake, and she was nearly dry.  On the contrary my hunting
partner's Springer Spaniel would be a very cold dog once he got wet.  In
France poodles were originally used as hunting dogs.  We have made them
into sissies, but I bet if offered the chance, they would hunt and
retrieve as they were originally supposed to do. That Standard poodle is
why I am in GSDs today.  I could not face getting another one, and I had
always liked Shepherds, and that is the "rest of the story".  Doris
Estabrook*