[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Very handy

  • From: "Paula Cooke" <pcooke212@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 01:02:52 GMT

The Great Dane is, indeed, a German Dog.  The breed is the Deutsche Dogg=
en.

But, the poodle clip is related to it's work as a water retrieving hunti=
ng dog, not because of burrs, etc..  The tight curly coat, which is wate=
r repellent and keeps the skin dry/warm, is also heavy when wet.  The tr=
im gives the dog more mobility in the water, with the chest and joints p=
rotected from the cold.  =

Paula, 105 days and counting

-- "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
HeeeHeee --- AND the Great Dane is NOT   Danish  but also a GERMAN
original!!  Yes, the special coat and clipping of the Poodle was done to=
 =

help
with burrs etc.  This breed has been compared to our GSDs and I had an
old animal encyclopedia set that told me something most interesting abou=
both ---  The Poodle is one of the easiest breeds to train for most =

anything.
However, being used to guide and/or assist disabled folks has not been a=
good for them as our GSDs.   Reason - rarely do the other breeds have a
sort of extra instinct concerning their charges like a GSD.  When danger=
 is
lurking in some way, a GSD will go against training, and act on the =

instinct.
I have studied dogs since I first learned to read as a young whippersnap=
per
and they'd follow me home from school.  We all mostly walked then.  My
Mother would fuss at me thinking I'd given them my lunch, never, I've ju=
st
always been a dog magnet.   Yep, trivia stuff to enjoy.      Norma no L