[ SHOWGSD-L ] Vermont ear cropping bill moving forward!

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 13:12:56 EST

Please!!!  Forward this to everyone in Vermont.  They need to  contact their
Senators NOW!

_http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4469922&nav=4QcS_
(http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=4469922&nav=4QcS)
Montpelier, Vermont - February 7, 2006

Vermont has led the nation in  a number of laws and now it's one step closer
in another area. The Senate gave  preliminary approval today to a bill that
would ban the cropping of dog's ears.  Vermont may join European Countries by
banning the process of cropping dog's  ears.

"The puppy doesn't say I would like to have my ears cropped," said
Sen. Dick Sears of Bennington County.

Senators argued cropping is  bloody, painful and is only done for
cosmetic not medical reasons. The issue  has prompted Senators to talk with
their own veterinarians. "She thinks there  are other far greater atrocities to
animals that should be taken care of first  and she said we will take care of
this within the veterinarians community,"  argued Sen. Phil Scott of
Washington County.

Taking care of it in-house  would be welcomed by dog clubs. The ban on
cropping is opposed by breeders who  believe it could put some competitors from
Vermont at a disadvantage in the show  ring. Lee Whittier watched the debate.
She
is a dog show judge from Woodstock.  "Well the cropped would win in most cases
because that is what sets the  standard, sets one dog from another dog. This
is a Rotweiller it does not have  cropped ears. This is a Doberman it does
have cropped ears," Whittier told  Channel 3 news. Dog clubs also believe the
bill could lead to other bans such as  docking of tails.

Inside the chamber, the debate became testy with some  Senators
wondering how the bill had gotten this far. "You know there is a  lot of
concern out there by constituents out there," said Senator Kevin
Mullin of Rutland County.

But the chair of the judiciary committee  defended the bill. "I think
it is a very important bill why else would I  receive more email by a
two to one margin on this issue than on a sentencing  of a sex
offender in Chittenden County," said Sen. Dick Sears of Bennington
County.

By a 21 to 5 tally, the Senate gave preliminary approval to  the bill.
Advancing a measure that could lead to the first state in the  nation
to ban the practice of cropping dog's ears. Final approval could come  up
Wednesday.

Anson Tebbetts - Channel 3 News

Marjorie

Ginger Cleary,  Rome, GA
"You should not examine legislation in the light  of the benefits it will
convey if properly administered, but in the light of the  wrongs it would do
and
the harm it would cause if improperly administered."  Lyndon Johnson, 36th
President of the U.S.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)