[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Venues for showing

  • From: Sarah Minsk <gsdworkingline@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 15:32:35 -0400

Evan,

That's really wonderful!! Congrats on the success of your dogs!!!  I think we
should all strive for the same thing...the complete German Shepherd.

I have a German working line bitch but I wanted to make sure she was up to
standard so I showed her in UKC conformation to a Championship with group
placements. Boy, did I love it!! I got hooked on conformation!! Now, I am
like...hmm...how can I breed a dog that could do well in the AKC conformation
ring! LOL

The only thing is that I don't want to "sell out" and just focus on winning in
the conformation ring and not still have dogs that can work (by work I mean ScH
or herding). I have found that her rally and obedience titles and work in
agility (she didn't care for it) didn't really challenge her mentally or
physically. I have seen dogs that were timid or noise sensitive still able to
get titles in these venues.  That's not acceptable to me. These events do not
really put mental pressure on the dog and test their nerves and structure like
ScH or herding would.

I also have a HIC and CGC on her.  She is registered for a TC offered later
this month by a local GSDCA club. I plan to go for her ScH BH by the end of the
year and work on her ScH/IPO 1 title.

Healthwise...I got her hips/elbows prelims and she passed both. I need to get
her official ones now that she is 2. She has OFA numbers for Shoulders,
Cardiac, Thyroid, DM, and Full Dentition.

Hence, my dilemma at breeding an older bitch. Part of me wants to breed her now
but most of me thinks I should challenge her and see if she is worthy of being
bred by sending her through ScH testing. I have not found one other single
thing that will test a dog in every way possible than ScH or HGH/Course C work.
That much is true. Even the founder of the breed pleaded to keep the GSD a
working dog. I want to honor that request.

I think there are strengths and weaknesses in all the different bloodlines. I
have no problem combining lines to get what I want as the standard is my aim.

I bet there are American lines that could do ScH. If anyone knows of any than
please let me know!!

So, that is where I am at as a newbie....I don't know nothing. Just trying to
learn.

Sarah