[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ventura GSDC and New Champion

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 07:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

I've known Shirley for over 20 years, we worked together as social
worker/probation officer investigating child abuse referrals in Santa Clara
County ( San Jose)...when we first met I had protection dogs, one of whom
almost bite Shirley!...oops..lol...Shirley retired as a Social worker to become
a school teacher...I decided to do the same thing....Shirley and her late great
husband Tom O'Brien are greatly responsible for me being an elementary school
teacher....I may never ever finish another dog in this sport, but if I do I
won't be as happy as I was when I witnessed Shirley and Tom finish their bitch
on Saturday...God does not make mistakes!....one last note.....I asked Shirley
to marry me again ( I do this about three times a year) ..she was so happy
after the win...she didn't say no!.....can ya have two wives in
California?....lol...oh yeah I almost forgot...in winners there must have been
5 double handlers on Shirley's bitch...very funny moment...way to go
 Shirley!.....Ed
Bill Basu <billgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:   CONGRATULATIONS SHIRLEY!!!!!
We are all so happy for you!!!! It couldn't happen to a nicer person and one so
deserving for the hard work,many hours of travel and training time you have put
in.  Your have perservered thru the highs and lows that are dog shows and
always had faith in Sarah. Your faith has been rewarded with her
accomplishments. My grin is wide for you, Tom(he is watching) and the team that
supported you.
A funny story for all of you on the list:
To all, it is true that i started Sara on her show career with a three point
major about 9 months ago and shared handling responsibilities with the
supremely talented Amy Riley(she btw is much nicer than me and much easier to
deal with).  While my knee was recovering from the National Amy took over
handling Sara and promptly put on a 4 pt major in Feb. in Santa Maria.  Since
them Amy and i have co-handled Sara with limited success. About 4 wks ago i
told Shirley that i was really having a difficult time trying to figure out
where to show Sara next and didn't know if i could do much more with her. Well
thank god Shirley had the common sense to NOT listen to me. She promptly called
Amy and the rest is history. Amy and Sara and Shirley looked at me and gave me
the "one handed salute" and quickly proceeded to put two 5 point majors on Sara
with me as the "aide to help" when Amy allowed me to ride her "coatail".
So the moral of this story is:
a. If you have a good dog, have faith, continue to work hard the "cream will
rise to the top".
b. Don't listen to old,creaky kneed handlers who are not American citizens who
think they "know".
c. If you are lucky enough to have a support group like Shirley has(Linda
Kury,Carolyn Martello and Amy Riley) hug them and enjoy the ride that you all
share togethor and SMILE.
d. If you have a talented and wonderful handler like Amy Riley fall into your
lap, treat them properly, treasure them and you will have a partnership that
will be rewarding for both you. Judges will find these handlers dogs, as long
as the dog is worthy and the handler does a good job presenting it. Sara and
Amy fit the bill.
Congrats to you all!!!!
Bill