[ SHOWGSD-L ] Vegas

  • From: "Shadara-Trudy Roundy" <shadara@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:58:17 -0700

Kathy is right.  Clark County (Las Vegas) is in the process of passing
mandatory S/N.
The following is from Ken Sondej (Director Silver State Kennel Club) and
Linda Witouski's monthly national legislation report:

NEVADAClark County (Las Vegas) - Animal Advisory Board passed the proposed
mandatory spay/neuter ordinance and now it will go before the County
Commission. The next meeting of the County Commission is October 21st.  We
do not know if it will be on the agenda

Since I have attended the Vegas shows for years, I wrote letters trying to
help them fight it.   If it does go through, I will be less likely to attend
shows there.  I hardly ever go to the Denver shows because of their dog
legislation.  I don't like to support cities with my travel $ that are not
dog friendly.

Kathy's also right about trying to find a decent place to stay with dogs.
Before we bought the RV it was awful trying to find somewhere to stay.  The
places that allowed dogs back then were bad and seemed to attract a scary
crowd.  One night people partied and fought outside my door half the night.
I couldn't get the desk or security to do anything about it.  Not to mention
having to go out to exercise dogs at night.  That can be scary.

Though we did pass through Vegas on the way home from the MPCA National a
couple years ago and stayed in a hotel that was way out in Henderson off the
beaten path that was nice.  It was a newer, smaller hotel but it was nice.
Probably the nicest place I have stayed with dogs in Vegas in 25 years.

I agree with those that said that they would not leave their dogs in stalls
overnight. There is no way that I would leave my dogs.  Not going to happen.
I'm surprised that Aussie people were okay with that.  I'll have to ask the
Aussie people I know that went about it.  I'm betting they stayed somewhere
else because I can't imagine them leaving their dogs.

Just a thought but I'd talk to the Vegas all-breed kennel clubs about
locations and hotel accommodations, etc. They usually know about hotels, etc
because they deal with it year after year.

I've often wondered if the GSDCA contacted any of the Utah clubs before
deciding on the 2010 UT location.  Personally I feel that the SL Equestrian
Center (http://www.slcoequestrian.org/facilities/index.html) in South
Jordan, UT would have been a better location; More (and better) RV parking
with power available; large grass area (polo field) available for obedience,
rally, agility;  bigger arena;  better stall set up, more stalls; more
parking. Perhaps there was a problem with dates (which could easily have
been an issue) or hotels or something but in my humble opinion...it would
have been a much better location.  JMO

Trudy Roundy

Shadara Miniature Pinschers & German Shepherds

http://shadara.info

"Kathy Tank" rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

VEGAS IS A MANDATORY S/N CONSIDERATION  DRACONIAN DOG LEGISLATION, AREA ALSO

JUST TRYING TO GET A DECENT PLACE TO STAY WITH DOGS FOR A SPECIALTY IS TOUGH

ENOUGH...A NATIONAL THERE? NO THANK YOU.   EVEN THOUGH IT IS ONLY FOUR HRS

FROM US

IT IS NOT A DOG FRIENDLY PLACE.  UGH

JMHO

KATHY