[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Vaccinate or not?

  • From: Jen Proud <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: stormy435@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:36:36 -0600

I notice that the news article says NOTHING about the fact that the vaccine is
a “series”- one injection, wait 4 weeks, get a second, and then, protection
begins 7-14 days after the second injection… so takes 6 weeks to be protected
from this particular strain of flu.
So, no, we’re not recommending it at our clinic here in central WI- only 3
hours away from where the “big outbreak” was…
And, my thought is that flu viruses mutate all the time. How long will this
particular vaccine warrant protection, and how much protection would be given,
IF ANY, if the new mutation of H3N8 that now has a vaccine were to mutate again?
Just sayin’,….

Jen P & her not flu vaccinated Pack

On Dec 12, 2015, at 15:28, Stormy V. Hope <stormy435@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/health/canine-flu-has-dog-owners-wondering-if-fido-needs-a-vaccine.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below

<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/15/health/canine-flu-has-dog-owners-wondering-if-fido-needs-a-vaccine.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=mini-moth&region=top-stories-below&WT.nav=top-stories-below>

….. Now, a vaccine for canine influenza virus H3N2 has received conditional
approval from the United States Department of Agriculture
<http://www.usda.gov/>, which expedites licensing in emergency situations to
avert epidemics. As the holiday travel season approaches, the question is:
Should you get your dog vaccinated? …..

Stormy V. Hope
<https://www.facebook.com/GSDCA.LegislationAwareness>
<https://www.facebook.com/CaRPOC.CaliforniaResponsiblePetOwnersCoalition>