[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Utah National

  • From: Margery Golant <mgolant@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx" <Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:22:31 -0500

The Board is working to implement a plan exactly like that outlined below - to
have a small number of regular dog-friendly locations that are accessible, and
that is consistent with the desires of the membership as expressed in the
survey the Board put out specifically to get a picture of what it is the
membership prefers that we do.

There is no "let them eat cake" mentality by anyone on the Board.  There are
honest differences of opinion as to what the members were expressing in the
survey, and equally honest differences of opinion as to how to best reconcile
the different expressed objectives.

There is no one on the board who doesn't constanlty think about "how much
things cost", and I really wonder who the people on the Board are who "have an
unlimited supply of money to jet around as they wish."  If there are some that
fortunate on the Board, I am sure they do not represent the majority.  The
issues of expenses, travel considerations, and the survey results are discussed
and debated by the Board on every single occasion when the subject of National
sites arises.

No matter what locations are chosen, there will be some who will disagree.
There was some portion of the survey respondents who thought the site should be
in the center of the country 100% of the time.  Those people will disagree with
any location that is not.  There was some portion of the survey respondents who
wanted the National locations to follow the Futurity regions, there was some
portion of the survey respondents who wanted three broad areas of rotation,
etc. etc.

The Board is paying close attention to the survey results, and endeavoring in
every way possible to achieve as many of the objectives as humanly possible.
There is no one "thumbing their noses" at the membership.  It is exactly the
opposite.

Margery Golant

From: "Steve Grainger" <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2005/02/03 Thu AM 08:41:23 EST
To: "Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx" <Crossroadsgsd@xxxxxxx>,
        showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Utah National

From a financial standpoint..west coast Nationals have resulted in less
entires..which translates into less money...you cannot help geography..and
although we have many members who belong to the PC that are on the West
coast..they cannot make up the difference in entries..as evidenced in
Oregon..and in San Diego..I believe if those in a leadership position would
follow the pulse of the membership..they would select 2-3 sites and rotate
among those sites..this is was the membership suggested...if this is not
the direction the leadership chooses to follow...then we might as well have
taken the survey and trashed it..If we take the mystery out of show
sites...and we know where they are going to be..then the bitching would
probably stop..such as in the case of the Canadian National. The leadership
needs to think about the dynamics of what they are doing..each time they
select a site that further alienates the majority of the exhibitors..it
creates a broader divide between the leadership and those bringing dogs to
show. It gives the impression..that our leadership is comprised of those
who give very little thought to how much things cost as they have an
unlimited supply of money to jet around as they wish..if leadership
continues to have a "let them eat cake" mentality...the hostility between
membership and our PC leadership will continue to grow..also..if some in
positions of leadership wish to ignore the results of the survey..this also
sends a loud and clear message which simply implies."we will do as we wish
despite what the majority wants." any good leader I know..is a good
listener...good leadership puts their own personal agenda aside. I am not
speaking about everyone on the Board ..or on committees..we do have some
good leaders who try hard..and want to reflect the feelings of the
membership..but we have a few who continue to thumb their noses at what the
membership desires.In my opinion,.they need to show accountability as to
why they continue to ignore the membership.C.Grainger