[ SHOWGSD-L ] Urgent Update on AB241, breeding limits bill

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: thelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:13:12 -0700

AB 241 brought from defeat due to shenanigans!!!

CFA Update
Forwarding encouraged

In a message dated 7/14/2009 8:52:11 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
JMillerArt
writes: Just  reported from PetPAC - AB 241 was DEFEATED today in the
Senate
Public Safety  Committee!!!

Fanciers;

Never underestimate the ingenuity of HSUS and the other supporters of
breeder regulation.  Today brings another twist.

The Senate Public Safety Committee consultant called Sharon Coleman this
morning to advise us that the Committee will reconvene to  take another
vote.  Reconsideration was granted to allow the Chair, who was  absent
yesterday, to vote.  We expect Steinberg to go along with the other
three
Democrats and vote for AB241.

Please call or send an email/FAX immediately to Steinberg asking for a
NO
vote on AB241.  Also, contact the other Democrats who voted for the
bill -
ask them to reconsider and vote NO.  Thank the three Republicans who
opposed
and urge their continued support of our opposition.

This bill sets an arbitrary number (50) of intact dogs and cats a
person who
sells animals may maintain.  There is no consideration of conditions or
treatment of the dogs and cats.  A numbers limit is not enforceable and
there is no way to identify female who are intact.  There are only 5
commercial dog kennels in California and they are licensed and
inspected by
the  USDA.  CFA has its own self regulation through our voluntary
cattery
inspection program and we require inspection of high volume catteries.
There
is  no need for this bill.  It will be costly for the State.

Joan  Miller
CFA Legislative Information Liaison
JMillerArt@xxxxxxx
_www.cfa.org_ (http://www.cfa.org/)