[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on the Whippet lost in NY

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fellswayshepherds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 11:22:13 -0500

 From Bo Bengtson

PLEASE CROSS POST AT WILL

Vivi update Tuesday night

Thanks to Jeffrey Kimmelman for agreeing to post daily updates for those
who are inquiring about the search for Vivi. We have had several hundred
emails in addition to countless telephone calls, faxes and other
inquiries, so please forgive us if we cannot respond to everything.
Please feel free to cross-post this and tell anyone interested to go to
www.awc2006.com for updates, since I cannot reply to all the messages.

As of Tuesday evening there has still been no confirmed sighting of Vivi
since she disappeared last Wednesday morning at JFK. As has already been
posted elsewhere (I believe), the good news yesterday was that some dog
feces were found close to a building which is a little remote from the
rest of the cargo area ­ exactly where both psychics and common sense
tell us Vivi would hang out. The feces appeared to be no more than
perhaps a day old. Since there may be other dogs at the airport there is
no guarantee that this is Vivi’s, however. A few feral cats hang out in
the same area which may indicate that it’s not impossible to find food
there.

The Port Authority agreed to allow access for a Search & Rescue team,
with the costs generously donated by Westminster Kennel Club, for which
we are immensely grateful. The team, consisting of handlers, a German
Shepherd and a Rottweiler, with Paul and Honi present as well, have been
searching all day and did not pick up any fresh scent (as you may know,
the airport consists of thousands of acres; just the cargo area has
100-150 buildings). However, they picked up what they believe is older
Vivi scent but the tracks did not lead anywhere, which is confusing. If
she is indeed there she is obviously ranging much further than expected.

The traps are still out but have not resulted in any success so far.

A search party of more than 50 volunteers fanned out across the
residential areas close to JFK but as far as we know has come up with
nothing. We are immensely grateful to all of them and to Bonnie Folz for
co-ordinating this. A Japan Airlines official has helped by emailing
dozens of “Lost Dog” flyers to all the cargo departments with Paul’s
information about how to respond if Vivi is sighted.

The psychic that Paul has dealt the most with, Beatrice Lydecker, is
flying in to NY tonight because she is getting the message that Vivi is
tired and cold. Bea is very worried about her. Jil is on a stand-by
flight tonight and will hopefully get in to JFK in the morning. I am
leaving as soon as I can, not later than Friday. (Fran Reisman has
agreed to watch the house and the dogs; I am extremely nervous about
leaving my dogs out of my sight right now but trust her to care for them.)

We have so far been very careful not to lay undue blame for Vivi’s loss
on Delta Airlines: nobody knows exactly how she got loose, and we have
focused on trying to find Vivi. However, the fact is that the dog was
lost while in their care. Individual Delta employees have been helpful
with transportation, hotel rooms, etc. but the airline has in no way
offered to participate in the search after the first day (when one Delta
employee drove with Jil in the Port Authority car on the initial
search). Joan Goldstein has been calling Delta officials and spoke with
one executive and his secretary, who were sympathetic but would give no
information whatsoever, not even whether an internal investigation was
going on. I called the same number today and left a message with both my
telephone numbers to the receptionist but the call was not returned
although I was promised it would. I will try again tomorrow.

The media interest has not dropped off, and we continue to cooperate
with them since greater visibility means that Vivi has more chance of
being recognized if she should be outside the airport area. The TV crews
who interviewed Paul today say that they have to keep up the coverage
because they are getting more response to this than to any other current
story.

Thanks for your support and good wishes. We need them!

Bo