[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on animal relief efforts

  • From: diane holliday <dlholliday@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 07:33:51 -0700

This is from a friend of mine in Florida who owns white gsds:

Here's my latest update from EARS.  I'm not sure if they're currently
accepting "untrained" volunteers, but if they're not now, I'm sure they
will be in the near future.   The shelter we set up here in Florida
couldn't have functioned without volunteers from the community.   I'll
keep the list updated as I know more.

Beth
bborchardt1@xxxxxxxx

URGENT UPDATE

TO: Beth Borchardt, UAN Supporter
FROM: Jennifer Fearing, UAN President & CEO
DATE: September 2, 2005
RE: Hurricane Katrina - EARS update

We know you've been waiting anxiously to hear more news about
what the United Animal Nations' Emergency Animal Rescue Service
(EARS) is doing to help animal victims of Hurricane Katrina. The
outpouring of support we have received has been truly amazing!

More than 1,500 people have offered to assist with an EARS
response in a variety of ways: from performing rescues,
providing veterinary care or sheltering animals, to assisting
with transport, foster care, supply and equipment donation and
much, much more. We are overwhelmed by the generosity and just
as eager as you are to see these offers put to use to help the
animals.

Here's where things stand tonight...

HOUSTON, TEXAS: A temporary shelter run by the Houston SPCA and
staffed by EARS volunteers is expected to receive 500 animal
refugees in just a few hours, and hundreds more are expected
over the next days and weeks. We are deploying a team of ten
EARS volunteers from Northern California tonight, who are taking
with them supplies from our headquarters to help establish the
emergency shelter. Texas-based trained EARS volunteers have also
been activated to respond to the Houston effort.

JACKSON, MISSISSIPPI: UAN is coordinating response efforts with
several other organizations that have arrived here and are
providing animal disaster relief - including the ASPCA, the
International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), Colorado-based
Code 3 Associates, the Humane Society of the United States,
American Humane and Best Friends Animal Society. Decisions are
being made this evening about how best to deploy these resources
and where EARS will be staging inside the disaster zone.

LOUISIANA: We talked with authorities in the state today who
expressed need for our coordination and resources. We await word
tomorrow morning about their specific needs for EARS services.

SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA: Here at UAN headquarters, we are
receiving hundreds of calls each day from evacuees and others
who are missing their animals. We developed a coordinated
approach to managing these rescue requests with other animal
disaster relief organizations which will ensure that they are
put in the hands of whatever team deploys in any region. The
calls just break our hearts and we hope we're able to get to the
animals in time.

This is clearly a disaster like no other. Our teams are doing
all they can to help. Stay updated about our efforts by reading
our daily Action Report, which we update by 9AM PST every single
day.

If you are one of the people who have given generously to our
disaster relief fund - thank you! Please help us by telling your
friends about our efforts to help the animals and encouraging
them to make a donation.

If you have not already donated to UAN, please consider doing so
today so that we can buy the supplies, equipment and other
necessities we will need to operate our rescue and sheltering
efforts, over what we expect to be a very long deployment. Never
in our nearly 20 year history have we faced the daunting tasks
we do now... every little bit will help.

We've already started to make a difference. We know you're
concerned about the animals and we will be keeping you updated
about our efforts.

Thank you!

TELL A FRIEND:
http://ga4.org/uan/join-forward.html?domain=uan&r=YpqcId11-Xbi&;