[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on Rescue .. between the lines

  • From: "Connie" <ValleSaladoGSD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Showgsd-l" <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 15:15:12 -0600

Thanks to Dawn for the nice comment . It was actually Kentucky rather than Tn.
that I pulled Khan from. Last week I pulled a pretty sable boy from Columbus
Georgia , and this week I am pulling 3 from Iowa ( thank you Ginny Altman for
passing on my e-mail ) .They are going to Wisconsin to foster and maybe
adoption. Today I am trying to pull a pretty sable girl from Hugoton, Ks and I
am looking for Transport either to Kansas City were we can get transport to a
foster in Nebraska or to Colorado springs were I can meet her . If  there is
anyone in that area that could help please e-mail me.
http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8812482&tmpl=print
here is her link . The person at the shelter said that she is probably under a
year old .
  The sable boy "Gus" got a forever home on Saturday . I still have the Harlan,
Kentucky boy "Khan" here . He has put on about 15 lbs , is receiving his
obedience training and is doing very well . (He was emaciated)  As Dawn says
rescuing dogs from Ky, and Tn is not easy. We tried to set up  legged transport
and had all but the first leg filled and could not find someone that could do
that first leg .Finally I offfered to pay the guy $60.00 that was doing the
third leg to just go and get him .He had the day off so that is what we did .
He handed him off to the last leg ( Carol Brickner, Corgi rescue in OH )  who
took him to a vet clinic in Eaton Oh where They boarded him over night, gave
him his shots and heartworm tested him (at a cost of $167.00 I might ad). The
next day Carol B. again picked him up and took him to meet Tom, and he was on
his way to Colorado.
After Khan's 3 days of travel in a big 18 wheeler. I met Tom and Khan at the
Petco in Aurora Colorado, then Khan made the last 120 miles with me to home .
Probably around an 1800 mile trip.
Thanks to Tom Beard a semi truck driver from Aurora , without Tom I couldn't
have pulled it off . Tom has rescued over 70 dogs and cats so far this year by
moving them across country to the safety of rescues from certain death in kill
shelters. It was thanks to Tom that I was able to save Gus from the gas chamber
as well . I called him, knowing that he was going that way, and said Tom do you
have room for a sable GSD, and he said, "sure thing ." Gus rode back with an
Irish wolfhound , a shar-pei , a white shepherd , a mix breed , 2 puppies and 2
cats . <G> A traveling zoo riding in the cab with Tom eating Arbys and Subway
all the way.
Connie Palmer Williams
South Park Colorado