[ SHOWGSD-L ] Update on Ray Jacobs

  • From: SHOWGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 16:51:25 EDT

Thought I would update you all on Ray Jacobs and his family. As I posted
earlier, Ray's home was lost in the recent wild fire at south shore of Lake
Tahoe.
Ray and is wife had moved to Tahoe several years ago after living many years
in Walnut Creek, California.  Although Ray had been retired for many years,
this was their dream/retirement home.

When the fire moved into their area, they had approximately 15 minutes notice
to evacuate their home.  Ray, his wife Joanne and their daughter and
son-in-law were able to get their three dogs, cats and fish and a few articles
of
clothing in their cars before driving away and seeing their house in flames.
All
of his memorabilia from his extensive broadcast career (he had a beautiful gold
plated old fashioned microphone that was given to him on his retirement from
a Fox network affiliate) his years in the Marine Corps (one of the original
flag raisers) and his years as the backbone and heart of the Diablo Valley GSDC
and Western Regional Council of GSDCs were all lost.

After settling in at a local motel in Tahoe, Ray began having some health
issues and was air lifted to a hospital in the Bay Area --- Walnut Creek.  On
top
of loosing everything, Ray now has been diagnosed with congestive heart
failure and myeloma -a blood cancer in his spine.

Despite this, his spirits remain good and he will soon be starting chemo.  He
is staying in a local suites style hotel and he and his wife will soon  be
looking for a furnished apartment in the area while he undergoes treatment. He
says that their insurance company is really coming through for them with living
expenses. In the future, they  will probably be relocating in Redding,
California where one of his sons has some property.

In the mean time, if you would like to send him well wishes you can send an
email to me and I will print them and get them to him or if you wish to send
him a note or card, also send them to me, with his name on it and I will bring
them to him.  My address is 4214 Gregory ST., Oakland, CA. 94619

 At this time, he is requesting no phone calls or visits.

Ray has been a great friend to many of us in the GSD world and truly loves
the breed.  Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Kay Springer
www.showboatgsd.com
Home of Ch. Rohan's Reward TC, HT
sneak peak of the all-new AOL at