[ SHOWGSD-L ] Unwanted Awards

  • From: <nhansburgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 12:52:34 -0400

It suddenly occured to me in the middle of the night. God knows why I always
get these great ideas in the middle of the night. Perhaps it was inspired by
something Joe Beccia said to me at yesterdays show. In any case it had to do
with a topic no one has ever discussed before  WHAT TO DO WITH UNWANTED RIBBONS
OR TROPHIES won at dog shows. First let me begin by saying that when you win
something and it has been handed to you it is your property and you may dispose
of it in any way you see fit. Unlike the American Flag it is not sacrosanct and
does not have to be preserved. So i decided to make a list of possible things
to do with them. If anyone comes up with any additional ideas we might add them
to the list.

1. My personal favorite is file them in the nearest circular file.(wastebasket)
Its quick easy and and less burdensome.It also sends it back to where it came
from.The club has to get rid of them.

2. If you are a recycler you can donate trophies back to clubs or rename them
and award them to kids or Seniors or some worthy organization. One gal I know
used to give the ribbons out to her English Classes as Bookmarks. Personally I
find this too time consuming wasteful of energy, and often unappreciated.

3. If youdid not like the judging you could Take the ribbon and mail it back to
the judge with” I think this was awarded by mistake” written on the ribbon. Do
not sign your name. Or you could send it to AKC instead of the judge.

4. If you did not like the show you could cut the ribbon in many pieces and
send one piece to each member of the show committee thereby not placing the
blame on any one person.Do not sign your name. It will provide countless hours
of occupational therapy.

5.If you really hated the judging and this is all too often the case place the
ribbon on a picture of the judge.( Easy to find) and use it for target
practice. This will also rid you of any anger you may feel and will help
preserve your physical well being and rid you of your emotional anguish.

6. You could use them to wipe your behind in the nearest porto potty. Or add
water and grooming shampoo and use them to clean off your hands after pottying
since they do not provide for this at dog shows. This one is my all time
favorite. I got the idea from a Judy Dench movie.

7. You could save them up all year or for several years and then use them up
during a power failure. You know BURN BABY BURN. Or just throw them out with
the Spring Cleaning. Along with unwanted magazines adds and premium lists.
Whatever turns you on.

I hope that you will all find this helpful. Years ago I saved every ribbon
because entries were huge and awards were meaningful.I was even going to make
them into a patchwork quilt. These days I think all too often they are
meaningless and deserve everything you decide to do with them. Just whatever
you do DO NOT LITTER.

--
norma hansburg
www.normahansburg.com