[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Unbelievably sad; did I do the right thing?

  • From: Patricia Evans <patsgsdpups@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:43:24 -0800 (PST)

yes you absolutely, positively did say and do the right thing.My only regret is
you didn't include their email address so the entire list could "attack". Now
that I think about it, with their kids the age they are-keep the dogs, get rid
of a couple of kids.
Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:This post just appeared on my local
"freecycle." I just couldn't help
myself.

> [...]
> (mostly white and beautiful) and a 2 year old female Boxer.
>
> This is going to be a long post but a lot of info to write. My partner is
> heartbroken to have to give up our two dogs (moving). She is absolutely
> devastated so this will not be easy and we need to know someone will love them
> dearly. We absolutely need to know these dogs will be loved and cared for.
> She is worried how she will even sleep at night, not knowing how they are so
> this decision needs to be made carefully. We would ask that anyone who takes
> them, for whatever reason, if it doesn't work to not take them to dumb
> friends league but to call us and let us figure out a new home. We are
> moving to Castle Rock and can't have them in the new house.
>
> First is Bailey-again, she is just beautiful! She is an American Bulldog.
> She is so so so sweet. We have a 3 year old, 7 yr old, 12 yr old and 16 yr
> old and so she has been around kids her entire life. She is particularly
> attached to our 7 yr old daughter. We have the belief that a dog is still a
> dog and as gentle as they seem, you always use common sense. She has never
> snapped or even acted like she would. She is completely potty trained. She
> is kennel trained. She loves to chew old plastic water bottles etc and will
> chew up some toys (plastic) if left alone with them but not often. Her
> downfalls are that she was raised in the mountains for the first year and
> could run as far and as wild as she wanted so she will bolt outside if you
> don't warn her before you open the door to 'stay back'. She can also not
> just go outside without a leash or she will run. She is also full of energy
> with some consider a downfall. If someone new comes to the door, she is full
> of herself with a 'pet me, oh please pet me attitude'. It only takes a
> minute to calm down but for that minute, she is full of energy and
> excitement. She did go through doggy school where she went for a full month
> (lived on site). She was trained to walk on a leash easily and not pull etc
> and many other things so we KNOW she can do it, but with all of our kids, we
> weren't able to put in the time to keep her on such a good schedule but with
> some work, you'd have her back to that in no time. She loves to have a ball
> thrown in the backyard and to chase it. She absolutely needs a backyard to
> play in. She is, however, primarily and indoor dog and doesn't really like
> to be outside a lot. She loves to sleep on a pillow but is kennel trained.
>
> Brandy is our boxer. We receive compliments on her all the time. She is all
> excitement and so sweet too. Her excitement though is more that she will
> just shake and shake and twist and twist. She doesn't run or go wild. She
> is a lovable dog. She can be timid. She is also kennel trained. She
> doesn't chew things up and can go outside in your front yard etc without a
> leash. She is easily walked and she also attended the doggy school.
Brandy's
> downfall is that she is not completely 100% housetrained. She sleeps in her
> kennel at night and the first thing she does is go outside to she hasn't had
> to learn 'wake me up to go potty'. When inside, we just give them ample
> chances outside so we never 'wait' for her to ask. We don't know if and when
> she would go in the house and can't say for sure that she would if given as
> many chances outside as we give. She is also NEVER left in the house without
> us there (she is put in her kennel) so again, we don't know if she would chew
> toys unattended or not.
>
> Both of these girls are so sweet and deserve a great home. Neither of them
> are registered but they are both purebred. We paid a lot of money for each
> of them.
>
> If you respond, please state why you want them and how you know they'd fit in
> your family. Please, the more you can tell us about you, the more it will
> ease their moms mind. I can't tell you how upset she is. She can't write
> this, or have part in it.
>
> Rosie

I'm really sorry, and I don't mean to add to your pain, but "moving" is an
unacceptable reason for abandoning your dogs. I've moved many, many times in
my life, and my dogs [German shepherds] moved with me. Would you re-home
your children? Surely, renting in a new city is just as difficult with small
children as it is with dogs.

I applaud you for your honest evaluation of your dogs, but I would also tell
you that "free" dogs are often abused. People don't value "free."

Please rethink your decision. You CAN figure out a way to keep your dogs
with you. They've given you unconditional love, loyalty, affection -- how
can you reward them with this? And I promise you, your partner's pain will
NOT go away. She will always wonder and will always feel guilty.

If I have misunderstood your situation, then I would urge you to withdraw
your dogs from Freecycle and find reputable breed rescues for each of your
dogs. Google the breed plus "rescue" and "Denver."

Respectfully,

Fran

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original