[ SHOWGSD-L ] Umbilical Hernias & Obsessive Moms

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:39:44 -0500

Can umbilical hernias be caused by a bitch chewing the cord down too =
far?  Two friends of mine own bitches who are obsessive with their =
whelps.  (The bitches are not related.)

By obsessive I mean, the dams licked the whelps constantly;  to the =
point the pups had a hard time suckling.  The dams also concentrated =
their ministrations on the umbilical cords and chewed the cords down way =
too far.

In one litter of 6 pups, 4 pups ended up with very small hernias, 1 =
needs surgery because too much of the omentum is protruding at 7 weeks, =
and 1 has no visible hernia.  In all the pups, the umbilicus presents =
with additional scar tissue.

In the other litter, 2 pups died and the vet said the bitch may have =
killed the pups by chewing the cords down too far.

If any of you have owned a bitch like those I describe, what if anything =
can be done to stop this obsessive behavior?

From what I've read, a bit of protruding omentum, a "bubble" that is =
unchanging with time, is due to delayed closure and is not a true =
hernia.   Thus, such a defect is not heritable.   I'd like to hear =
thoughts on this from some of you experienced breeders.

Another question for breeders...  If a bitch does have a tiny "bubble," =
would she be able to carry a large litter to term without problems?
=20
Thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions.

Paulette McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam