[ SHOWGSD-L ] Ultrasound

  • From: Petro Haring <haringp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GSD Show List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:26:03 -0700

I wanted to thank all of you who responded concerning when to ultrasound
a potentially pregnant bitch.

I had an ultrasound done last Tuesday (day 24 from the last breeding)
and there were no puppies.  I was devastated.  The vet told me to come
back in another week and have another one done.  I was so certain she
was pregnant and then this news.  It was a very nerve wracking week for
me to wait.  This morning we took another ultrasound today (day 30 from
the last breeding) and we are definitely pregnant.

This was one of my Portuguese Water Dogs I had shipped a long way to
breed.  The vet indicated larger breeds, such as GSD's, will show the
sacs earlier than the medium or smaller breeds.  He made mention of a
Scottie breeder where they couldn't find the bitch's puppies until day
45 from the last breeding and yet he has done an ultrasound on a Golden
Retriever at day 16 and found puppies.

We are very happy here at Sandstone.

Petro Haring
Sandstone Portuguese Water Dogs and German Shepherds
http://www.sandstonegsd.ca
email: haringp@xxxxxxxxx