[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

  • From: Lealynn@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:38:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2005 1:29:45 PM Pacific Standard Time,
senator@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
September 2, 2005

Ms. Elizabeth Leschhorn
2203 East Sycamore Street
Anaheim, California  92806

Dear Ms. Leschhorn:

    Thank you for writing to express opposition to the bill S.
1139, also known as the "Pet Animal Welfare Statute of 2005."  I
appreciate the time you took to write.

    You may be interested to know that this bill, S. 1139, does
not apply to hobby breeders who produce less than 6 litters a year
and to non-profit rescue groups who charge an adoption donation.
Specifically, this bill would amend the Animal Welfare Act's
definition of animal "dealers" and add a definition for "retail pet
stores."

      As someone who cares about the welfare of our pets, I
believe that it is important to close the loophole allowing some
large commercial pet breeding businesses to avoid the animal
treatments standards set forth in the Animal Welfare Act.  At this
time, S. 1139 has been referred to the Senate Committee on
Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry.

    Again, thank you for writing to me.  I hope that you will
continue to keep me informed about matters of importance to you.
If you have further questions or need assistance in the future,
please feel free to call my Washington, D.C. staff at (202) 224-
3841.

            Sincerely yours,

            Dianne Feinstein
            United States Senator

http://feinstein.senate.gov

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and
the Nation are available at my website
http://feinstein.senate.gov.  You can also receive electronic e-mail updates
by subscribing to my e-mail list at
http://feinstein.senate.gov/issue.html.