[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: URGENT - volunteers needed, Cedar Rapids area

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Zoa Rockenstein" <zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:18:50 -0400

WHY NOT EMAIL THE MAN (HIS NAME AND ADDRESS WERE IN THE POST) AND ASK HIM ABOUT
DONATIONS....
BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY REALLY NEED PEOPLE............
  From: "Scot Northern" <nerfhearder99@xxxxxxxxx>

  Permission to cross post as needed....

  I just got off the phone with Mark Schearer, head of the IOWA VETERINARY
  RAPID RESPONSE TEAM [(515) 281-5798].

  He indicated that they have been working with the AKC Disaster Relief
  Dept(Lisa Peterson).  I believe he said that the AKC would be sending them
  SEVERAL HUNDRED crates and kennels to assist with the pet shelters in the
  Cedar Rapids area.  Truly amazing!  He couldnt say enough good things
  about the AKC!!!!

  But, that doesnt mean everything is done.  They are going to be in dire
  need of volunteers to help with the Linn County animals that are pouring
  into the Kirkwood Equine Ceneter in Cedar Rapids.  Projections indicate
  that
  there will be OVER 800 located at that  site...and my guess would be that
  the latest round of storms may push it up to 1000.
  With the Cedar Rapids Shelter being a total loss...Kirkwood will
  serve for the next several months as a base of operations.

  If you would like to volunteer to help, please call the Operations Center
  in Des Moines.  515-323-4267

  The Des Moines Disaster team is coordinating the volunteer effort so that
  the folks at the Kirkwood can focus on the dozens of cats, dogs, horses,
  etc that are coming in EVERY HOUR!  Its a rate of 25 per hour...

  I did not get the Johnson County information as he was called away to an
  emergency briefing to discuss the violent storms that are heading our way
  tonight.  I'll forward that as I get it.

  Once again, volunteers are needed at the Kirkwood Community College Equine
  center...call 515-323-4267 to help.  It is critical that when you signin
  at Kirkwood, that you sign in as IVRRT.  That way you are covered as a
  "temp" employee of the state of Iowa for insurance purposes.

  Hug your hounds, unfortunatly it is going to get worse before it gets
  better.  We got 4 more inches of rain today.

  Scot Northern
  President - Cedar Rapids Kennel Association

6:33 AM