[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: UPDATE to Mastitis

  • From: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx
  • To: destinogs1@xxxxxxx, sallyhayden5@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 11:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

mary you ROCK!!!!       it was her first  litter...  and yes the babies are
4 weeks.. they are safe they have been  getting goat milk and good kibble
softened she was starting to wean.. wonder if  that's why it happened.. this
girl is a very sweet young lady...  that has  learned  that things are not
easy in breeding...  she has a super  female amazing character and good
health... but she has had a terrible time..  her puppies were whelped and 2
days
later mom had infection inside from i guess  placentas OR because there was
one puppy in between that didn't make it  :(   it wasn't discolored or
anything, she tried for quite some  time to revive it anyway... the other 6 are
super!!    the  litter came early.. it was a weekend didn't have oxy  its a
small vet  office and they ran out and didn't even realize they didn't have
any.. so she  had to hit Tufts then.. they put her on Clavamox and she had
been nursing  every since..  we had AMAZING SUPPORT from the list...that
night..  AMAZING and was forever grateful and she learned alot, as did i... i
have   NEVER had the issues this poor girl is having so i came right to the
"list"     :)

update.. the female is not necroted THANK GOD.. its just purple now for 24
hrs... the milk was never discolored either... she is taking her home...
keeping her fluids and rx til her office opens tomorrow and her vet is
confident  she can deal with this if she needs surgery...    she is no temp
for
36 hours at least now too :)    she isnt eating..  but  she grabbed some
canned food from work.. babies are AMAZING.. i went  to  see them yesterday..
they turned 4 weeks old OH MY GOD they are demons  hahahah  they were first
time outside i taught her some stuff to do.. and  we evaluated baby
temperament and they are devils...  greeted us strangers  like nothing and FAT
FAT
huge heads... hahaha  we have  testicles on two boys already  LOL  i never
had them that early i  never noticed.. but i wanted to inspect each puppy see
how they were...

sally is just being sally its ok  :)   she is wrong..  of course it
developed from the time she left for work... there was nothing of  concern
there..it was NOT THERE nor has the female been neglected omg  REALLY?

   we very much appreciate the support and non judgement from  those not
judging...  i would come to list all over again... its  fine  :)

thanks so much!   and i would post pics but i dont think i can  right?   if
she has a page i will send it to you  guys!!!
DM

In a message dated 7/14/2012 9:59:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
destinogs1@xxxxxxx writes:
How this happened is irrelevant.  The owner of the female has a  major
problem on her hands and a litter of puppies.  I hope that the  puppies are old
enough to be eating on their own.  Tufts is an excellant  Vet. college, but
I doubt that they see a lot of bitches with mastitis.   Most veterinary
clinics know how to handle this, at least in my area they  do.

The danger now is the high temperature and the dark spot on the  breast.
Sounds like the tissue is necrotic.  This could mean  surgery on the breast.
I hope that the information that we have provided  has helped the dog and
the owner.  I think the owner of the female is a  novice and didn't know to
keep an eye on the breasts.  We all were  novices at one time and we don't
need to be too critical of this person.

Mary