[ SHOWGSD-L ] UPDATE: CALIFORNIA 2/15/05

  • From: "Sharon Allbright" <sharlen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:04:18 -0800

UPDATE: CALIFORNIA

February 15, 2005
(Last publication date 2/6/05
Appropriate forwarding encouraged.)
Preserving Our Right To Own And Breed Animals Is Your Responsibility

IN THIS ISSUE:
*  TAC'S YAHOO ANNOUNCEMENT LIST
*  LATEST CALIFORNIA BILLS THRU FEBRUARY 14

REMINDER:  Our December 22 Update reported, " 2005 will be our ninth year
of publishing timely information by email using the same email address on a
program that is no longer supported for (Microsoft) Window XP.  This
requires maintaining old computers to distribute the list.  As an
alternative, we are developing an ANNOUNCEMENT ONLY Yahoo list that will
enable us to bring you the same timely information with greater
flexibility, cost effectiveness and better formatting."   Subscription will
be simple.  Just reply to the subscription invitation you will receive
shortly.  If you do not receive one, let us know and we will send an
individual invitation.  If you cannot or will not use a Yahoo list, let us
know and we will make alternative arrangements for you.
This list will begin as a backup to our existing delivery.

THE ANIMAL COUNCIL'S LEGISLATIVE POLICIES:
As an organization, we typically oppose only bills with detrimental impact
on animal owner interests and only monitor and/or comment on other animal
bills including those that may be appear benign or potentially worthwhile.
The reasons for this include uncertainty about the true sponsors or intent
of a bill, its potential for adverse amendment, its ultimate relationship
to existing law and others' interests.  By providing basic information,
readers who wish to support specific bills can do so.

CALIFORNIA STATE LEGISLATURE deadline to introduce new bills is February 18
with animal bills typically coming in the last few days.  The 31-days-in
print rule and committee assignment procedures delay any "action" until
late March at the earliest.  Unlike many states with very short legislative
sessions, California bills can drag on into August or arise late as
amendments to existing bills.

Our February 6 Update reported Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 13 by
Assembly Members Lois Wolk (D-8) of  Vacaville and Paul Koretz (D-42) of
West Hollywood and a long list of co-authors.  ARC 13 declares February 22,
2005 to be Spay Day USA 2005.

NEW CALIFORNIA BILLS THROUGH FEBRUARY 14:

SB 156 introduced on February 8 by Senator Nell Soto (D-32) of Ontario
would amend Penal Code Section 597b, c and j covering animal fighting
offenses to elevate the penalty on second or subsequent conviction from a
misdeameanor/up to one year in county jail/up to $25,000 fine to a felony
punishable by a state prison term of 16 months, two, or three years and the
existing fine.  Existing law would continue to provide for a lesser penalty
in unusual circumstances where the interests of justice would be better
served by imposition of a lesser sentence.

CA AB 359, introduced February 11 by first term Assembly Member Mike Gordon
(D-53) of El Segundo, AB 359 would add a new Section 5006.9 to the Public
Resources Code requiring the state Department of Parks and Recreation to
work with others to develop an off-leash dog beach pilot program at
Dockweiler State Beach in the County of Los Angeles.  The bill contains
some interesting recitals:

 " SECTION 1.  The Legislature finds and declares all of the
following:(a) In Los Angeles County, there are approximately 175,000
licensed dogs.
   (b) In Los Angeles County, there are only four off-leash
recreational areas (OLRA) comprising a total of less than 10 acres of
space.
   (c) An OLRA provides several benefits and studies show both of the
following: (1) Dogs that exercise and are allowed to run freely are not as
aggressive towards people as dogs that are underexercised.
   (2) OLRAs contribute to the overall physical fitness of people by
encouraging them to exercise with their dogs.
   (d) There are 15 coastal counties in the State of California. Each
county has at least one nonstate dog beach.
  SEC. 2.  Section 5006.9 is added to the  Public Resources Code , to read:
   5006.9.  The department shall coordinate with all interested
parties to develop an off-leash dog beach pilot program at Dockweiler State
Beach in the County of Los Angeles."
*****

*a service of THE ANIMAL COUNCIL
P.O. BOX 168, MILLBRAE  CA  94030
Contact us at <TheAnimalCouncil@xxxxxxx>
Incorporated 1991, tax exempt under IRC Section 501(c)(4)
Online news updates published sporadically since 1997.
To be removed from the original distribution list only or change address,
Legislative tracking subject to change.  CA bill and law information
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov