[ SHOWGSD-L ] Type or sidegait

  • From: Fran Henry <fhenry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:58:38 -0700

OK, I'm not a player. I have a very nice male who may, or may not finish.
I'd like him to finish because I adore him, but if he doesn't, no big deal.

So, I'm not a player.  I respect breeders enormously. What a crapshoot. That
you have the intelligence, the eye, the common sense, the commitment awes
me.  I celebrate you!

That said, I vote for type. Secondary sex  characteristics -- that gorgeous
male/female head; pigment; strong back; good tail set; intelligence;
temperament.

I see dogs that are touted by the fancy -- and I'm unimpressed. They don't
LOOK like GSDs. They're not pretty.  There's a current
GSD, much touted by the West Coast, who leaves me totally cold. I guess he
can MOVE, but . . .

I know "pretty" is shallow, but a zillion times a day, I look at my dogs and
think, "They are SO beautiful." I need that. Given, of course, that
temperament is first.

I, personally, think that sidegait is overrated. I'm not talking dogs too
crippled to work., But, what is the difference between a super-star in
movement and a super-star in all the rest??

I want, #1, temperament #2, type; #3, sidegait.

MOST OF ALL, I want that loving bond that happens between good GSDs and
their owners. The bond that means the dog will protect you to the death.,
What an awesome responsibility!!!!!!

Fran