[ SHOWGSD-L ] Two subjects...one post...long but very important

  • From: Dawn Restuccia <windwych@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:27:19 -0700 (PDT)

First of all, I found a GSD in Boston Mass at the MSPCA who has been there for
TWO AND A HALF MONTHS! When I inquired as to why this dog had not been sent
along to GSD rescue, the attendant informed me that "they like to have an
assortment of dogs to choose from" and that "we DO get them adopted from here".
I asked if they had stringent requirements for adopters of GSD's...such as a
fenced yard. She said that they did not. Why this dog was not sent to Rescue I
have NO idea! She did not indicate to me whether or not any rescues had been
called for the dog. She was a TEN YEAR OLD GSD! Well, the upshot is that she
WAS adopted yesterday..to who or WHAT, we now have no idea. Many times dogs of
this size and nature are adopted strictly as junk yard dogs. The MSPCA is in
one of the very worst sections of Boston. I explained to the attendant that
when a dog is taken into Rescue, they try to house the dog in a home/family
enviornment so as to determine its personality for rehoming.
 Evidently, this poor girl CAME from an out of state shelter...who REFUSED to
take her back (have NEVER heard of this) and so ended up here. On to the NEXT
issue....
I also recieved an email following an inquiry regarding a GSD who needed
rehoming...Evidently, this dog came from the Monks of New Skete. When the owner
found it necessary to rehome this 8 year old HANDSOME guy, the Monks REFUSED to
take him back, thereby making him the responsibility of Rescue and putting him
at high risk for euthanasia...They cited his ADVANCED AGE (?)
as their reason. I am trying to research this further....this is the
information I was given by a family member. Once I have incontrovertible
TRUTH....The Monks will wish they NEVER HEARD OF ME...If this IS true, this is
TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. If they feel they cannot rehome this dog (and I am QUITE
sure they have the facilities to house him) then it is their responsibility to
humanely euthanize the dog.
Issue number 3.....The Louisiana GSD who was surrendered by a breeder. Believe
me, you do NOT want to see the photos! I have called to no avail...there is no
shelter listed...I sent and email....anyone in Louisiana who has space to
spare, PLEASE consider giving this dog a chance! To be killed because your ear
did not stand up is inconcievably inhumane.
GOOD NEWS!!!!!! A foster home has been found for our little Murray County GSD
whom I have affectionatley nicknamed Willow (she is sooooo pretty)..We have a
generous offer of a pull/hold and transport is being set up. Anyone wishing to
help Willow get to her foster home (from Georgia to NC) please contact me!!!!!!
A huge thank you to all those who sent donations for these dogs!! Your
generosity has helped these throwaways see another sunrise!!!
A VERY THANKFUL, Dawn and the Cape Cod mob

Dorothy, and no this aint Kansas

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.