[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Two cents' worth

  • From: "yvonne tanenbaum" <vontan1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 15:00:47 -0500

I can't believe I read that presentation of his, and I can understand
how some can be taken in by him.  He would have us believe that he is
performing a service to buyers providing an alternative to puppy mills
and back yard breeders, but it appears that is exactly where he gets
his puppies from.  Even if the people he deals with are small breeders
(as he alludes to) and he does seem to have a very nice guarantee and
mentions all the puppies have complete physicals, etc.  I see no
mention that those breeders do the necessary breed health tests for
their particular breed, such as OFA, DNA testing for tests that are
available.  He only mentions that some sires are DNA'd but that has
nothing to do with Optigen or other organizations such as that.  So it
seems to me that he gets his puppies from the same breeders he
purports to protect puppy buyers from.
It appears that he does fill the need for puppies because many of the
really good breeders who do all the necessary testing don't seem to
breed all that much.  And when they do breed then they are called
puppy mills by the Fancy LOL.  I've seen that all too often on this
list, criticisms about a breeder who might have a handful of litters a
year and the outcry over that.  Back 40 or so years ago all the big
breeders had BIG operations and today we would all be calling them
millers too.  One name that comes to mind is Lloyd Brackett, he bred
many litters and I wonder if he were alive today how he might be
accepted.  There are tons of other breeders in other breeds too who
bred a bunch, they had huge facilities and employees, etc.  Today we
are all too politically correct, heaven forbid someone has more than
2-3 litters a year, or breeds their bitch more than 3 times in her
lifetime the are criticized for that too. So where is a buyer to get a
WELL BRED dog if the breeders aren't there to supply them.   Andrew
Hunte is, sad to say, filling a need or he wouldn't be in business.  I
am not recommending people breed more either so don't go off on that
tangent, its just that there is no easy answer to any of this.   I
think the time to have taken care of Hunte was at the first meeting, I
think at this point it might be asking for trouble to try to get him
out on some trumped up charge.  Unless there is some untruths in his
original presentation I have to wonder how it will happen.   That's my
2 cents FWIW

--
Yvonne
www.creekvue.com

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise
of fighting a foreign enemy"   James Madison