[ SHOWGSD-L ] Turning Mandeville âInside Outâ (My response to Mandeville article...

  • From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:01:38 EDT

PERMISSION TO CROSS-POST FREELY
Turning Mandeville â??Inside Outâ??
by Donna Malone

The August 19, 2005 issue of Dog News included an  article entitled, â??Inside
Out - Our Fathersâ?? AKC...â?? by John Mandeville  (aka John â??2Bâ??
Mandeville).
This is my response:

Mandeville  writes, â??This time Donna Malone . . . stands in for all those
people whose  Internet blather is seldom if ever called to account.â??  I am
amused  that olâ??2B (or 3B or was that another time?) threw the gauntlet down
on
what he alleges to be â??Internet blather,â?? but pleased to have  an
opportunity
to speak on behalf of the THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS  of members  of the Fancy
opposed to PAWS.

Mandeville says my â??dissection of  Sari's PAWS column is the usual anti-PAWS
rhetoricâ?? and that â??And after  untold renditions it is really boring. And
trite.  And not worth getting  exercised about.â?? Except he does....   He
chides,
â??Someone  should tell Donna Malone her zealotry and bombast work with the
committed.  That is hardly the way to make converts, especially among those of
us
who  have a jaundiced view of the entire PAWS debate.â??  My parody of
Sariâ??s

article was widely read and well-received.  Considering  andevilleâ??s, uh,  â??
passions,â?? it is surprising that he would mistake my  passionate objections
Sariâ??s article for â??zealotry and bombast workâ??  but, well, apparently his
best work is not done with the head on his  shoulders.  More about that
later...
; -)

Mandeville suggests I â??take note of  Carmen Battaglia's widely  circulated
Internet memoâ?? or â??Charlotte McGowan's  August 5 DOG NEWS  article "Pausing
Understand Objections to PAWS."   (Both are  excellent works.  If you haven't
read them, I encourage you to do   so.  Google for them.)   However, I am in a
unique position   compared to most of the other parties to the PAWS debate.
don't  show.  I don't breed.  I am not, and do not aspire to  be, a  judge.
As such, I am at liberty to say things that neither  McGowan nor  Battaglia
dare say for fear of retribution.

Back to  Mandevilleâ??s article, â??Malone resorts to McCarthyism.â??    How
about
 another perspective on McCarthyism?  â??Thirty years after the  death of
Senator Joseph R. McCarthy . . . the term "McCarthyism" is still widely   used
as
a convenient and easily understood epithet for all that is evil  and
despicable in
the world of politics. . . . Despite the frequency  with which the  term is
invoked, however, it is quite clear that not one  critic of McCarthy in a
hundred has the slightest idea of what he said and  did during that
controversial
period from 1950 to 1954.â??  Quoted  from:
_http://www.thenewamerican.com/focus/people/vo03no10_mccarthy.htm_
(http://www.thenewamerican.com/focus/people/vo03no10_mccarthy.htm)
Did  McCarthy make mistakes?  Yes.  However, in the aftermath of  9/11,  when
so many Americans are questioning the decidedly un-American  activities of
Al Qaeda members, it is interesting to note that (type of  â??ismâ?? aside)
those
are  the very type of activities that McCarthy sought to  forestall.
McCarthyâ??
s  Alien Registration Act (also known as the  Smith Act) made it illegal to
advocate, abet, or teach the desirability of  overthrowing our government. It
also required all alien residents over 14  file a comprehensive statement of
their personal and occupational status  and a record of their
political beliefs.  Does any of this sound  familiar?   But, enough of the
history lesson  Mandeville  obviously missed....

Mandeville demands names of all the  â??attorneys and those active in the
legislative forum have contradicted his  [Holtâ??s] interpretation for
years.â??  Letâ??
s start with the names of  attorneys, off the top of my head, including but
not limited to, Sharon  Coleman, Cindy Cooke, Jeffrey Helsdon, and Jerald
Tannenbaum.  Names  of others active in the legislative forum, again off the
top
of my head,  including but not limited to, Mary Beth Duerler, Charlotte
McGowan, Kelly  Wichman, Anne Edwards, Norma Bennett Woolf, Karen Strange, Tere

Woody,  Linda Chance, and Cherie Graves.  ALL OPPOSED TO PAWS...    (Please
Google these names folks!  And, my apologies to those of you  whose  names did
not
spring as readily to my mind as those listed when I  was writing  this.)

Have you even HEARD of these people  Mandeville?  Many are principals in
state federations that do the  â??hands onâ?? legislative work in the cities,
counties and states around the  Country AND THEY OPPOSE PAWS.  They protect
your
right to own and  breed!  AKC counts on most of them, like it counts on  me, to
oppose  legislation restrictive to the rights of owners and  breeders!  BTW,
you are aware the AKC counts on US to interpret those laws,  right?

As for your allegations that I am â??exaggerating, if not lying,â??  and your
demand for dates and places and â??what they said, independently  verifiable,
of
course, where their contradictions of Holt's  interpretations have appeared  â??
for years.â??" I'll do you one better than  that, let me refer you to the
SOURCE
MATERIALS!  See the legislative  intent behind the AWA (federal records),
the
enforcement history of  the AWA (available from the USDA), and case law, most
notably, Doris Day  Animal League v. Veneman, see:
_http://www.nabr.org/animallaw/caselaw/ddalvsveneman2003.htm_
(http://www.nabr.org/animallaw/caselaw/ddalvsveneman2003.htm)
 as that is the material that WE (see above list of attorneys and  others
active  in the legislative forum) have been quoting non-stop since  AKCâ??s
insane
endorsement of PAWS.

Mandeville also wrote, â??as  someone who has the utmost regard for the legal
profession, sleeping with  an attorney as I do, rather than citing attorneys to
give your assertion  heft you are better advised to cite their legislative
and lobbying credentials -  in Washington, please, this is Federal legislation
we're  concerned  about.â??  Admittedly, I am not an attorney and I have not
slept with  one.  I am a paralegal (graduated top of my class) and have worked
for
attorneys 20+ years.  I have researched case and code and  prepared all
types of legal documents.  When Memphis proposed BSL, I  advised the City it
would not withstand challenge. Two of the top law  firms here assured our City
Council and County Commission that it  would.  GUESS WHO WAS RIGHT? ;-D

Mandeville also demands  â??legislative and lobbying credentials - in
Washington, please. .  .â??  Sir, Will Rogers pretty much summed up what most
folks think  about Washington when he said, â??I don't make jokes. I just watch

the government and report the facts.â?? (You aren't seriously suggesting that
only Washingtonians are capable of drafting/understanding legislation  and/or
lobbying  are you?)

Mandeville next  attempts to justify his and Sari Tietjenâ??s demands for the
resignation of  two or three of the AKCâ??s board members who opposed PAWS
alleging  a  â??conflict of interest.â??  Correct me if I am wrong here, but
rumor has
it  you are the same Mandeville that got FIRED from the AKC for....?   (Isn't
that where ya got that nickname â??2Bâ?? or â??3Bâ?? or whatever it  is?  (You
know,
the number of the room where you were doing what you  do best?)  Come  to
think of it, seems like there was a rumor that  Sari has her  own demons...
something about being on the AKCâ??s payroll and  showing  maybe?  Neither of
you
appear to have the ethical/moral  authority to be  pointing a finger at anyone!

(For the general  audience reading this, conflict of interest arises
whenever the personal  or professional interests of a board member are
potentially
at odds with  the best interests of the nonprofit). If anyone is acting in a
conflict of  interest, it is the board members who voted for  PAWS.  Members of
the  board have a fiduciary responsibility to act in the  best interest of the
 Fancy but what are they doing?  Spending time and $$$  promoting PAWS,  a
law so at odds with the purpose of the AKC that they are  having to  REWRITE
the
AKCâ??s statement of purpose!  Mandeville further  attempts  to justify his
conflict of interest assertion by alleging that so and  so  says he is right.
can see it now.  Mandeville calls them,  gives  them his rendition of the â??
factsâ??, and hey say something along the  lines of IF you are right and IF
thus
and such
actually happened the way you  said it did,  THEN it MIGHT not be ethical
behavior.  Any â??attorneyâ??  stupid enough to do  otherwise should not be
practicing law!

Finally, Mandeville recognizes my "we want OUR FATHER'S AKCâ?? â??is  â??a
rhetorical plea for a time when AKC's legislative perspective was in  harmony
with
hers,â?? but calls it â??delusional.â??  He knows, as well as  I do, that I  am
talking pre-PAWS.  He does bring up an interesting  point though â?? that  the
AKC
has only â??botheredâ?? (his word not mine) with  legislation for the last 15
or
so
years.  And, â??botheredâ??  generally means they call or email someone in  the
trenches (LIKE ME) to  get out and oppose it.  Yes, they serve a purpose  BUT
it is not the  same as being there, hands on.

Speaking of the AKC lobbying...   Folks, you have now seen what the AKC can
do when they WANT TO compliments  of PAWS.  What did the AKC do when
restrictive legislation was last  proposed in your area?  They probably did not
travel
all over the  applicable area lobbying clubs to help you oppose the
legislation, did  they?  Hmmmm...  They probably also did not take out,  much
less  pay,
for a FULL PAGE AD in local papers opposing the bill, did   they?  Unh,
unh... They probably also did not make a personal   appearance before elected
representatives, much less hire a lobbyist to  oppose  the bill, did they?
Tisk,
tisk..  Yeah, they mailed a  â??packageâ?? to  applicable elected
representatives,
if you supplied the names  and addresses to  them.  Oh, and, letâ??s not forget
that
handy  dandy one page (front and back)  brochure on how to plead your case to
 elected  representatives! Although that really isn't a substitute for the
other, is it?

My intention is not to discredit the legislative  department or its
employees (I like them) BUT there is another side of  this story that is not
being
told.  The people opposing PAWS are not  a bunch of inexperienced and
legislatively ignorant yokels.  Most of  us have MUCH MORE expertise on
legislative
issues than the AKC has or will  have in the foreseeable future and,  taken
collectively, the AKC may never  be able to catch up with us on the issues.  WE
ARE
THE
EXPERTS AND  PAWS IS NOT IN YOUR BEST  INTEREST!   PAWS IS A "BACKDOOR"
MANDATORY SPAY/NEUTER, BREEDER  LICENSING LAW!  And, if PAWS is any  example of
what we can expect  legislatively from the AKC in the future,  the AKC needs to
GET
OUT OF  LEGISLATION ENTIRELY!

To read more  about WHY YOU SHOULD OPPOSE PAWS visit:

_http://www.dfow.org/paws.htm_ (http://www.dfow.org/paws.htm)
_http://www.naiaonline.org_ (http://www.naiaonline.org)
_http://www.naiatrust.org/NAIA_Trust_Opposes_PAWS_S1139.htm_
(http://www.naiatrust.org/NAIA_Trust_Opposes_PAWS_S1139.htm)
_http://www.ncraoa.com_ (http://www.ncraoa.com)
_http://www.saova.org_ (http://www.saova.org)

VISIT THIS  SITE TO WRITE YOUR ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES:
_http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home_ (http://capwiz.com/naiatrust/home)

Ginger  Cleary, Rome, GA
"Those who desire to give up freedom in  order to gain security, will not
have, nor do they deserve, either one."  Benjamin Franklin.
_http://www.rihadin.com_ (http://www.rihadin.com/)