[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Tumors of the Spleen

  • From: gsdgenny1@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:28:29 EST

One of my male GSDs has his spleen removed in August at almost eight years of
age.  The mass had completely covered the spleen, but we were very lucky.
There was no malignancy, and my boy has done great since his surgery.  Also had
his stomach tacked as a precautionary measure.  The problem was discovered
during his annual routine examination, and as I look back on it, I now realize
that he had not been feeling up to par but just couldn't tell us.  He acts like
he feels better now than he has in a long time.  My vet said that the spleen
was huge and weighed 9-10 pounds.  We were cautioned to keep him quiet with no
exertion in the few days between when the mass was found and when the surgery
took place so as not to risk it bursting.
Kay Goolsby